Abraham Lincoln, one of America’s most beloved presidents, had a way with quotes that still inspire us today. In this post, we’ll explore some of his famous quotes and the valuable lessons they hold. From life and courage to democracy and friendship, Lincoln’s words provide timeless wisdom that can help guide us in our everyday lives. Let’s dive into the world of Abraham Lincoln’s quotes.
Who is Abraham Lincoln?
Abraham Lincoln was the 16th president of the United States from 1861 to 1865. He led the nation through his greatest moral, constitutional, and political crisis in the American Civil War.
Lincoln was regarded as one of the greatest heroes of America due to his role as savior of the Union and emancipator of slaves. He changed the world using his powerful moral rhetoric and by taking action in the fight to end slavery and win the Civil War.
Abraham Lincoln Lincoln is known for his leadership during the American Civil War from 1861 to 1865. He signed the Emancipation Proclamation an executive order to change the legal status of slaves to ‘free’.
Abraham Lincoln Quotes
Find some of the best inspiring Abraham Lincoln Quotes to find some motivation in your life.
Abraham Lincoln’s Quotes on Happiness:
1. “Folks are usually about as happy as they make their minds up to be.” – This quote means that you can be as happy as you choose to be. It’s up to you to decide how happy you want to feel. Your attitude and thoughts play a big role in your happiness.
2. “When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That’s my religion.” – Lincoln is saying that when he does good things, he feels happy, and when he does bad things, he feels guilty or sad. This quote encourages us to do good deeds because they lead to happiness.
3. “Every man’s happiness is his own responsibility.” – This quote means that each person is in charge of their own happiness. You can’t rely on others to make you happy; it’s something you must take responsibility for yourself.
4. “If we magnified our successes as much as we magnify our disappointments, we’d all be much happier.” – Lincoln is suggesting that if we celebrated and focused on our achievements as much as we dwell on our failures, we would be a lot happier. This quote inspires us to be more positive and appreciative of our successes.
Abraham Lincoln’s Quotes about Friendship:
5. “I have destroyed my enemies when I make friends with them.” – This quote means that by turning your enemies into friends, you can resolve conflicts and problems. It’s a powerful way to overcome difficulties and win people over.
6. “My Best Friend is a person who will give me a book I have not read.” – Lincoln is saying that a true friend is someone who understands your interests and surprises you with something you enjoy. This quote shows how small acts of kindness can strengthen friendships.
7. “I’m a success today because I had a friend who believed in me and I didn’t have the heart to let him down.” – Lincoln is giving credit to a friend who had faith in him, and this support motivated him to succeed. This quote reminds us of the power of belief and encouragement from friends.
8. “The better part of one’s life consists of his friendships.” – Lincoln is saying that the most important and valuable part of a person’s life is the relationships and friendships they build. Friends make life richer and more meaningful.
9. “If friendship is your weakest point, then you are the strongest person in the world.” – This quote suggests that if you prioritize friendship and kindness, even when others may not, you are a strong and admirable person. It emphasizes the strength of being a good friend.
10. “I am a success today because I had a friend who believed in me and I didn’t have the heart to let him down.” – Lincoln is expressing gratitude for a friend who had faith in him, and this support inspired him to be successful. It shows the impact of supportive friendships on personal achievement.
11. “The loss of enemies does not compensate for the loss of friends.” – Lincoln is saying that losing friends is a much bigger loss than losing enemies. This quote underscores the value of true friendships in our lives.
12. “If you would win a man to your cause, first convince him that you are his sincere friend.” – This quote suggests that to persuade someone to support your cause or viewpoint, you should first show that you genuinely care about them and their interests. It emphasizes the importance of building trust through friendship.
Abraham Lincoln’s Democracy Quotes:
13. “America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” – Lincoln is warning us that the biggest threat to our country is not from foreign enemies, but from our own actions. This quote inspires us to protect and cherish our freedoms to keep our nation strong.
14. “Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves.” – This quote means that if you don’t give freedom and rights to others, you don’t deserve those freedoms for yourself. It inspires us to be fair and just, treating everyone with respect.
15. “Elections belong to the people. It’s their decision. If they decide to turn their back on the fire and burn their behinds, then they will just have to sit on their blisters.” – Lincoln is saying that in a democracy, the people have the power to choose their leaders. If they make a bad choice, they’ll have to face the consequences. This quote encourages us to take our voting decisions seriously.
16. “If you once forfeit the confidence of your fellow citizens, you can never regain their respect and esteem.” – Lincoln is telling us that once people lose trust in you, it’s very hard to earn it back. This quote inspires us to act in ways that maintain the trust and respect of our fellow citizens.
17. “I have always found that mercy bears richer fruits than strict justice.” – This quote suggests that showing kindness and forgiveness is often more rewarding than being overly strict and punishing. It encourages us to be compassionate and understanding.
18. “Don’t interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties.” – Lincoln emphasizes the importance of the Constitution in protecting our freedoms. This quote inspires us to uphold and respect the Constitution to safeguard our liberties.
19. “You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage payer down.” – Lincoln is saying that helping workers shouldn’t harm employers. This quote encourages us to find fair and balanced solutions in economic and labor matters.
20. “No man is good enough to govern another man without that other’s consent.” – This quote means that nobody should rule over another person without their agreement. It inspires us to value the principles of consent and democracy.
21. “In this age, in this country, public sentiment is everything. With it, nothing can fail; against it, nothing can succeed.” – Lincoln is saying that in the United States, public opinion is extremely important. This quote inspires us to recognize the power of the people’s voice in shaping the nation’s destiny.
22. “A nation that does not honor its heroes will not long endure.” – This quote means that a country that doesn’t respect and remember its brave and noble figures won’t last. It encourages us to appreciate and honor our national heroes.
23. “Our government rests in public opinion. Whoever can change public opinion can change the government.” – Lincoln is telling us that our government’s strength depends on what the people think. This quote inspires us to understand the influence of public opinion in shaping our nation.
24. “The strength of a nation lies in the homes of its people.” – Lincoln is saying that a strong nation begins with strong, happy families. This quote encourages us to value and support family life.
25. “Gold is good in its place, but living, brave, patriotic men are better than gold.” – This quote means that while money is important, courageous and loyal people are even more valuable. It inspires us to prioritize the qualities that make a nation strong over material wealth.
Read: Pranab Mukherjee Quotes
Abraham Lincoln’s Quotes to Know the Value of Books:
26. “My Best Friend is a person who will give me a book I have not read.” – This quote tells us that a great friend is someone who shares new and interesting books with us. It inspires us to value the joy of discovering new knowledge through reading.
27. “Books serve to show a man that those original thoughts of his aren’t very new after all.” – Lincoln is saying that when we read books, we realize that many of the thoughts we consider unique have been thought by others before us. This quote inspires us to appreciate the wisdom passed down in books.
28. “All I have learned, I learned from books.” – Lincoln is telling us that much of what he knows and has learned comes from reading books. This quote encourages us to see books as valuable sources of knowledge and learning.
29. “The things I want to know are in books.” – Lincoln is expressing his belief that books hold the answers to the things he wants to learn. This quote inspires us to turn to books to satisfy our curiosity and seek knowledge.
30. “Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other one thing.” – Lincoln is telling us that our determination to succeed is the most important factor in achieving our goals. This quote encourages us to have a strong will to succeed.
Character Quotes by Abraham Lincoln:
31. “Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.” – Lincoln is saying that facing tough times is something most people can handle, but the real test of a person’s character is how they act when they have power and influence. This quote inspires us to evaluate people’s character based on their behavior in positions of authority.
32. “Whatever you are, be a good one.” – Lincoln is advising us to be the best version of ourselves, no matter our role or occupation. This quote encourages us to strive for excellence in whatever we do.
33. “Character is like a tree, and reputation its shadow. The shadow is what we think it is, and the tree is the real thing.” – Lincoln is saying that our character is like a tree, and our reputation is what others see (the shadow). The quote inspires us to focus on building a strong and noble character because it’s what truly matters.
34. “I am nothing, truth is everything.” – Lincoln emphasizes the importance of truth and honesty. This quote inspires us to value truth and integrity above all else.
Success Quotes by Abraham Lincoln:
35. “I’m a success today because I had a friend who believed in me, and I didn’t have the heart to let him down.” – Lincoln attributes his success to a friend’s belief in him. This quote encourages us to appreciate the support of friends and not let them down.
36. “I am a slow walker, but I never walk back.” – Lincoln is saying that he may not be the fastest at making progress, but he never retreats from his goals. This quote inspires us to stay determined and not give up on our ambitions.
37. “I am not bound to win, but I am bound to be true. I am not bound to succeed, but I am bound to live up to what light I have.” – Lincoln emphasizes the importance of staying true to oneself and doing one’s best, regardless of the outcome. This quote inspires us to be authentic and strive to do our best in every situation.
38. “Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any one thing.” – Lincoln is stressing the significance of our determination to succeed. This quote inspires us to maintain a strong will to achieve our goals.
39. “The achievement has no color.” – Lincoln is telling us that success is not determined by a person’s race or ethnicity. This quote inspires us to believe in equal opportunities for all.
40. “Investment in knowledge pays the best interest.” – Lincoln is highlighting the value of education and learning. This quote inspires us to invest in knowledge and education as it brings the greatest rewards.
41. “There can be glory in failure and despair in success.” – Lincoln is saying that sometimes failing can be honorable, and success can bring disappointment. This quote inspires us to learn from failures and not be discouraged by success.
42. “The struggle of today is not altogether for today – it is for a vast future also.” – Lincoln is telling us that the challenges we face today are not just about the present but also about shaping the future. This quote inspires us to work for a better future even in difficult times.
43. “You can complain because a rose has thorns, or you can rejoice because the thorns have a rose.” – Lincoln is saying that you can focus on the negative (thorns) or the positive (the beautiful rose) in any situation. This quote inspires us to have a positive outlook and find the good in life’s challenges.
Inspiring Quotes by Abraham Lincoln:
44. “You cannot escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.” – Lincoln is telling us that we can’t avoid our future responsibilities by ignoring them today. This quote inspires us to face our obligations and challenges head-on.
45. “There’s no honorable way to kill, no gentle way to destroy. There is nothing good in war. Except its ending.” – Lincoln is saying that war is never good, but if it must happen, its only positive aspect is when it ends. This quote inspires us to seek peaceful solutions and avoid war whenever possible.
Leadership Quotes by Abraham Lincoln:
46. “Be sure you put your feet in the right place, then stand firm.” – Lincoln is advising us to make wise decisions and once we do, to be resolute in our actions. This quote inspires us to be decisive and steadfast in our leadership.
47. “If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I’d spend the first six of them sharpening my axe.” – Lincoln is telling us the importance of preparation and planning. Before tackling a big task, it’s crucial to get ready. This quote inspires us to be well-prepared for our endeavors.
48. “Be with a leader when he is right, stay with him when he is still right, but, leave him when he is wrong.” – Lincoln is advising us to support leaders when they are making good decisions, but not to blindly follow them if they make a mistake. This quote inspires us to have the courage to speak up when leaders are wrong.
49. “Force is all-conquering, but its victories are short-lived.” – Lincoln is telling us that while force can win battles, it doesn’t create lasting solutions. This quote inspires us to seek peaceful and enduring resolutions.
50. “If you are going to fight, don’t let them talk you into negotiating. But, if you are going to negotiate, don’t let them talk you into fighting.” – Lincoln is advising us to be clear in our intentions. If you decide to fight, don’t be persuaded to negotiate, and if you choose to negotiate, don’t be swayed into fighting. This quote inspires us to be resolute in our decisions.
Truth Quotes by Abraham Lincoln:
51. “Truth is generally the best vindication against slander.” – Lincoln is saying that the best way to defend against false accusations is to speak the truth. This quote inspires us to value honesty as a defense against lies.
52. “I never had a policy; I have just tried to do my very best each and every day.” – Lincoln is telling us that he didn’t have a fixed plan; he simply aimed to do his best every day. This quote inspires us to focus on doing our best in our daily actions.
Slavery Quotes by Abraham Lincoln:
53. “You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time.” – Lincoln is reminding us that deceit may work temporarily but not on everyone forever. This quote inspires us to value honesty and transparency.
54. “You cannot help people permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.” – Lincoln is saying that true help means teaching and enabling people to help themselves. This quote inspires us to empower others to be self-reliant.
55. “I would not be a slave, so I would not be a master. This expresses my idea of democracy.” – Lincoln is expressing his belief in equality. He doesn’t want to be a slave owner because he wouldn’t want to be a slave himself. This quote inspires us to embrace democratic ideals of fairness and justice.
56. “Don’t criticize them; they are just what we would be under similar circumstances.” – Lincoln is advising us not to judge others harshly because we might act the same way in their situation. This quote inspires empathy and understanding.
57. “You cannot build character and courage by taking away people’s initiative and independence.” – Lincoln is saying that true character and bravery come from allowing people to take the lead and be independent. This quote inspires us to support and foster individual initiative.
58. “Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves, and, under a just God, cannot retain it.” – Lincoln is telling us that those who deny freedom to others don’t deserve it themselves. This quote inspires us to value and fight for the freedom of all.
59. “You can’t make a weak man strong by making a strong man weak.” – Lincoln is emphasizing that making strong people weaker doesn’t make weak people stronger. This quote inspires us to focus on lifting others up rather than tearing others down.
60. “If slavery is not wrong, nothing is wrong.” –Lincoln is stating that if slavery is not considered morally wrong, then there is no such thing as a moral wrong. This quote inspires us to recognize and stand up against grave injustices.
61. “Slavery is founded in the selfishness of man’s nature, opposition to it in his love of justice. These principles are an eternal antagonism, and when brought into collision so fiercely as slavery extension brings them, shocks and throes and convulsions must ceaselessly follow.” – Lincoln is explaining that slavery exists because of human selfishness, and the fight against it comes from the desire for justice. These principles are always in conflict, leading to intense struggles. This quote inspires us to confront injustice and fight for what is right.
Quotes on Mother by Abraham Lincoln:
62. “All that I am or ever hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.” – Lincoln is saying that his mother is his greatest influence and source of inspiration. This quote reminds us to appreciate the love and guidance of our mothers and acknowledge their role in our lives.
63. “No man is poor who has a Godly mother.” – Lincoln is telling us that having a loving and spiritual mother makes a person rich, no matter their material wealth. This quote inspires us to value the goodness and guidance provided by our mothers.
64. “I remember my mother’s prayers, and they have always followed me. They have clung to me all my life.” – Lincoln is sharing that his mother’s prayers have been a source of strength and support throughout his life. This quote inspires us to recognize the power of a mother’s love and care.
Self-Confidence Quotes by Abraham Lincoln:
65. “The best way to predict your future is to create it.” – Lincoln is encouraging us to take charge of our own future by making choices and taking actions that lead to the outcomes we desire. This quote inspires us to be proactive in shaping our destinies.
66. “I will study and prepare myself, and someday my chance will come.” – Lincoln is saying that he will work hard and be ready for his opportunity when it comes. This quote inspires us to be diligent and patient, knowing that our chances will arise.
67. “I do the very best I know-how, the very best I can, and I mean to keep on doing so until the end.” – Lincoln is expressing his commitment to giving his very best effort throughout his life. This quote inspires us to strive for excellence and continue our best efforts no matter the challenges.
68. “You can have anything you want if you want it badly enough. You can be anything you want to be, do anything you set out to accomplish if you hold to that desire with singleness of purpose.” – Lincoln is telling us that with strong determination and a clear purpose, we can achieve our desires and become anything we wish. This quote inspires us to set clear goals and pursue them with unwavering determination.
69. “Nothing will divert me from my purpose.” – Lincoln is determined and focused on his goals, not allowing anything to distract him. This quote inspires us to stay resolute and not let obstacles or distractions deter us from our objectives.
70. “If you think you can you can, if you think you can’t you’re right!” – Lincoln is emphasizing the power of belief in achieving success. If you believe you can do something, you’re more likely to succeed. This quote inspires us to have confidence in our abilities.
71. “Your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other.” – Lincoln is telling us that our personal determination and commitment to succeed are more crucial than any other factor. This quote inspires us to focus on our own determination and willpower when striving for success.
Abraham Lincoln’s Quotes on Life:
72. “I do not think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.” – Lincoln is telling us that it’s important to keep learning and becoming smarter every day. This quote inspires us to value personal growth and the pursuit of wisdom.
73. “The Lord prefers common-looking people. That is why he made so many of them.” – Lincoln is saying that there’s beauty in ordinary people because there are so many of them. This quote inspires us to appreciate the uniqueness in everyday individuals.
74. “Those who look for the bad in people will surely find it.” – Lincoln is telling us that if we search for faults in others, we’ll certainly discover them. This quote inspires us to focus on the good in people rather than looking for their flaws.
75. “Commitment is what transforms a promise into reality.” – Lincoln is saying that when we are truly committed to something, we make our promises come true. This quote inspires us to be dedicated and steadfast in fulfilling our commitments.
76. “Life is hard but so very beautiful.” – Lincoln acknowledges that life can be tough, but he also finds it incredibly beautiful. This quote inspires us to appreciate the beauty in life, even when facing challenges.
77. “If you want your name to be remembered after your death either do something worth writing or write something worth reading.” – Lincoln is telling us that to be remembered in history, we should either do something remarkable or write something valuable. This quote inspires us to leave a positive mark on the world.
78. “You can lose everything in life, but not dreams.” – Lincoln is saying that while we might lose material possessions, we should never lose our dreams and hopes. This quote inspires us to hold onto our aspirations and keep pursuing them.
79. “In the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It’s the life in your years.” – Lincoln is reminding us that it’s not the number of years you live that matters most but how you live those years. This quote inspires us to make the most of our lives and fill them with meaningful experiences.
Education Quotes by Abraham Lincoln:
80. “Get books, sit yourself down anywhere, and go to reading them yourself.” – Lincoln is advising us to read and educate ourselves. This quote inspires us to take the initiative to learn from books.
81. “Those who write clearly have readers, those who write obscurely have commentators.” – Lincoln is saying that if you write in a straightforward way, people will understand you, but if you write in a confusing manner, others will have to explain what you meant. This quote inspires us to communicate clearly and effectively.
82. “Education does not mean teaching people what they do not know. It means teaching them to behave as they do not behave.” – Lincoln is explaining that education isn’t just about teaching facts; it’s also about teaching people to improve their behavior and actions. This quote inspires us to focus on personal growth and character development through education.
83. “I am slow to learn and slow to forget that which I have learned. My mind is like a piece of steel, very hard to scratch anything on it and almost impossible after you get it there to rub it out.” – Lincoln is saying that he learns slowly but remembers what he learns for a long time. This quote inspires us to value persistent learning and strong memory.
84. “The hen is the wisest of all the animal creation because she never cackles until the egg is laid.” – Lincoln is telling us that wisdom is about being patient and not celebrating until you’ve achieved something. This quote inspires us to be patient and thoughtful.
85. “Writing is the great invention of the world.” – Lincoln is emphasizing the importance of writing as a significant human achievement. This quote inspires us to appreciate the power of written communication and its impact on society.
Courage Quotes by Abraham Lincoln:
86. “Stand with anyone that is right; stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.” – Lincoln is telling us to support someone who is doing the right thing, but if they start doing wrong, we should distance ourselves. This quote inspires us to have the courage to stand up for what’s right and not blindly follow others.
87. “If there is anything that links the human to the divine, it is the courage to stand by a principle when everybody else rejects it.” – Lincoln is saying that having the courage to stick to your principles when everyone else disagrees is something special and almost godly. This quote inspires us to be brave in our convictions and not yield to popular opinion.
88. “It often requires more courage to dare to do right than to fear to do wrong.” – Lincoln is telling us that it can be harder to do what’s right than to avoid doing something wrong. This quote inspires us to find the courage to make the right choices, even when it’s challenging.
89. “Nothing in this world is impossible to a willing heart.” – Lincoln is saying that with determination and a strong desire, we can overcome any obstacle. This quote inspires us to believe in our abilities and persevere.
89. “Believing everyone is dangerous, but believing nobody is more dangerous.” – Lincoln is cautioning against two extremes: believing everything people say or trusting no one. Both can be risky. This quote inspires us to strike a balance between trust and skepticism, being cautious but not overly cynical.
I hope you liked the above Abraham Lincoln Quotes. Don’t forget to mention the best line that you liked most from the above lines in the comment box below.
You may also like the Motivational quotes mentioned below:
All quotes are collected from Goodreads.