Let’s find some character building quotes!
Character involves the process of becoming emotionally stronger, more independent, and better equipped to deal with life’s challenges. It reflects how virtuous a person is both for their own well-being and the betterment of society. When someone directs their goodness towards the welfare of society, they possess a good character. The collective efforts and processes aimed at nurturing these qualities are known as character building.
In this article, we’ll share inspirational character development quotes that emphasize the importance of possessing a strong character for personal growth and its positive impact on society. Let’s explore these motivational quotes on character building.
Character Building Quotes
- Meaning of Character building
- Students Character Building
- Sports Character Building
- Confucius’s Advice on Character building
- Positive Character-Building
- Stanislavski Quotes for building a character
- Adversity Building Character Quotes
- Inspirational character-building quotes
- Hard times building character
- Quotes on education and character building
Character-building quotes to know the meaning & definition of character
1. Unknown: “Character means the process of becoming emotionally stronger, more independent, and better able to deal with problems.” – This quote tells us that building character involves becoming emotionally stronger, learning to be more self-reliant, and getting better at handling life’s challenges.
Inspiration: It inspires us to work on improving ourselves by developing qualities like emotional resilience, independence, and problem-solving skills.
2. Unknown: “Character relates to character education, character education refers to how ‘good’ a person is.” – This quote suggests that character is linked to the idea of character education, which is all about assessing how “good” a person is in terms of their moral qualities and values.
Inspiration: It encourages us to think about our own moral values and how we can improve them through character education.
3. Unknown : “There is no scientific definition of character. There is no way to measure a person’s character. No school or anyone else can improve it. It just depends on the person.” – This quote implies that character is a complex and individual trait that cannot be scientifically defined or measured. It suggests that character development is a personal journey.
Inspiration: It reminds us that building our character is a personal responsibility, and we should focus on self-improvement without relying on external measures or institutions.
4. Unknown: “A person who shows his personal qualities which are good for society can be considered as a good character. And developing such personal qualities is often seen as the aim of character education.” – This quote indicates that a good character is defined by the display of positive qualities that benefit society. Character education aims to cultivate these qualities in individuals.
Inspiration: It motivates us to work on developing qualities that not only benefit us but also contribute positively to the well-being of our communities.
5. Thomas Lickona: “The deliberate effort to develop virtues that are good for the individual and good for society.” – This quote stresses the importance of consciously working on virtues that are not only beneficial for oneself but also for society as a whole.
Inspiration: It encourages us to actively cultivate virtues in ourselves that lead to personal growth and make a positive impact on the world around us.
6. Robert McGrath: “Character education is less focused on social skill acquisition and more on constructing a moral identity within a life narrative.” – This quote suggests that character education is about more than just acquiring social skills. It’s about shaping a moral identity that is woven into our life story.
Inspiration: It reminds us to prioritize the development of our moral values and how they define our life’s narrative, contributing to the person we become.
Character Building Quotes for Students
7. Abraham Lincoln: “Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.” – This quote means that our character is like a tree, which represents who we truly are. Reputation, on the other hand, is like the shadow of that tree, which is what others think of us. It reminds us that our true character is more important than what others perceive.
Inspiration: It inspires us to focus on building a strong and admirable character rather than just worrying about what people think of us.
8. A. P. J. Abdul Kalam: “Teaching is a very noble profession that shapes the character, caliber, and future of an individual. If people remember me as a good teacher, that will be the biggest honor for me.” – This quote emphasizes the importance of teaching and how it can influence a person’s character and future. It also highlights that being a good teacher is a great honor.
Inspiration: It encourages students to recognize the impact of teachers on their character and motivates them to value education and their educators.
9. Albert Einstein: “Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character.” – This quote suggests that having a negative attitude can lead to a weak or flawed character. Attitude plays a crucial role in shaping who we are.
Inspiration: It motivates students to cultivate a positive attitude and work on their character development, as a strong character begins with a positive mindset.
10. Napoleon Bonaparte: “Great ambition is the passion of a great character. Those endowed with it may perform very good or very bad acts. It all depends on the principles which direct them.” – This quote highlights that ambition is a powerful force in shaping one’s character, and whether it leads to good or bad actions depends on the guiding principles.
Inspiration: It encourages students to set ambitious goals while emphasizing the importance of having strong moral principles to guide their actions.
11. Elbert Hubbard: “Character is the result of two things: mental attitude and the way we spend our time.” – This quote suggests that our character is formed by our mental attitude and how we choose to spend our time. It underscores the significance of our thoughts and actions.
Inspiration: It inspires students to be mindful of their thoughts and how they use their time, recognizing that these are key factors in character development.
Character Building Quotes for Sports
12. John Wooden: “Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” – This quote advises us to prioritize developing our character over worrying about what others think of us. It reminds us that our true self is more important than the image we project to others.
Inspiration: It inspires us to work on building a strong and virtuous character in sports and in life, focusing on personal growth rather than seeking external approval.
13. Heywood Broun: “Sports do not build character. They reveal it.” – This quote suggests that sports don’t create character; they simply bring out and show the character that already exists within a person.
Inspiration: It motivates us to pay attention to our behavior and values during sports, as they can reveal our true character. It encourages self-reflection and growth.
14. Charles Spurgeon: “A good character is the best tombstone. Those who loved you and were helped by you will remember you when forget-me-nots have withered. Carve your name on hearts, not on marble.” – This quote highlights the importance of having a good character, as it leaves a lasting impact on people’s hearts and memories. It suggests that our legacy is built on the positive influence we have on others.
Inspiration: It inspires us to focus on building a strong and compassionate character in sports and in life, aiming to make a positive and lasting impression on those we interact with.
Confucius’s Quote on Character Building
15. Confucius: “Musical training is the most effective method for molding the moral character of a man and keeping society in order. Let a man be stimulated by poetry, established by the rules of propriety, perfected by music.” – Confucius believes that musical training, along with poetry and proper behavior, helps shape a person’s moral character and contributes to societal harmony.
Inspiration: This quote encourages us to appreciate the influence of art, culture, and ethical principles in building character. It emphasizes the importance of holistic development beyond just physical attributes in sports and in life.
Positive Character-Building Quotes
16. Helen Keller: “The character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.” – This quote teaches us that character is built through facing challenges and hardships. It’s in these tough times that our inner strength is tested, our ambitions are kindled, and we can ultimately achieve success.
Inspiration: It inspires us to embrace difficulties and not shy away from them, as they can be the building blocks of a strong character and the pathway to achieving our goals.
17. Cavett Robert: “Character is the ability to carry out a good resolution long after the excitement of the moment has passed.” – This quote highlights that true character is revealed when we stick to our commitments and resolutions even when the initial enthusiasm has faded.
Inspiration: It encourages us to be consistent in our values and actions, even when the initial motivation wanes, emphasizing the importance of perseverance in building character.
18. James A. Michener: “Character consists of what you do on the third and fourth tries.” – This quote suggests that character is shaped by our persistence and determination when we face challenges repeatedly.
Inspiration: It motivates us to keep trying and not give up easily, as it’s through perseverance and learning from mistakes that our character is developed.
19. Kilroy J. Oldster: “We are born with the capability for the collective challenges of life to stir and stamp us.” – This quote implies that challenges and difficulties in life have the power to shape and define our character.
Inspiration: It reminds us that every challenge we face can be an opportunity for personal growth and character development, encouraging us to face life’s trials with resilience and grace.
20. Charlene Costanzo: “The first gift is Strength. May you remember to call upon it whenever you need it.” – This quote reminds us that strength is one of the initial gifts we possess, and we should harness it when faced with challenges.
Inspiration: It inspires us to tap into our inner strength when facing difficulties, as it’s an essential element in building our character and facing life’s trials.
21. Nicky Verd: “The key to keeping quality people is to become a person of quality yourself.” – This quote emphasizes that to attract and retain good people in our lives, we must work on our own character and become a person of integrity and quality.
Inspiration: It motivates us to focus on self-improvement and building a strong character if we want to surround ourselves with like-minded individuals and positive influences.
Stanislavski Quotes for building a character
22. Konstantin Stanislavski: “If you are looking for something, don’t go sit on the seashore and expect it to come and find you; you must search, search, search with all the stubbornness in you!” – This quote stresses the importance of persistence and determination in seeking what you desire rather than waiting passively.
Inspiration: It encourages us to take an active role in shaping our lives and building character by pursuing our goals with unwavering determination.
23. Konstantin Stanislavski: “I was truly happy. But my state was not that of any ordinary satisfaction. It was a joy which stemmed directly from creative, artistic achievement.” – This quote highlights the deep satisfaction that comes from creative and artistic accomplishments.
Inspiration: It inspires us to find joy in our creative endeavors and the pursuit of our passions, emphasizing the positive impact such achievements can have on our character and overall happiness.
Quotes about adversity building character
24. Dennis Prager: “Goodness is about character – integrity, honesty, kindness, generosity, moral courage, and the like. More than anything else, it is about how we treat other people.” – This quote tells us that being good is all about the qualities that make up our character, like being honest, kind, and morally courageous. It emphasizes that how we treat others is a key part of our character.
Inspiration: It inspires us to focus on developing these positive character traits and to treat others with respect and kindness, as it’s a crucial aspect of building a strong character.
25. Grenville Kleiser: “By constant self-discipline and self-control, you can develop greatness of character.” – This quote suggests that through continuous self-discipline and self-control, we can build a great and admirable character.
Inspiration: It motivates us to work on self-discipline and self-control as they are the building blocks of character development, leading to personal greatness.
26. Mac Duke The Strategist: “Wealth without character is another form of poverty.” – This quote implies that having material wealth is not enough if you lack a strong and virtuous character.
Inspiration: It reminds us of the importance of building a good character alongside any material success, encouraging us to prioritize moral values and integrity.
27. Ophelia Filek: “The foundation of a strong self comes from small acts of daily discipline.” – This quote suggests that the basis of a strong and admirable self or character is formed through consistent, daily acts of self-discipline.
Inspiration: It inspires us to focus on making small, disciplined choices every day, as they collectively contribute to the development of a strong and virtuous character.
28. Abhijit Naskar: “Clothes fade away, so does the body, but the character is indestructible.” – This quote conveys that while our appearance and physical bodies change with time, our character remains constant and unbreakable.
Inspiration: It inspires us to invest in building a resilient and virtuous character, recognizing that it’s a lasting and valuable aspect of who we are.
Inspirational character-building quotes
29. Billy Graham: “When wealth is lost, nothing is lost, when health is lost, something is lost, when a character is lost, all is lost.” – This quote suggests that losing money or physical well-being isn’t as critical as losing one’s character, as that affects everything. It underscores the immense value of a strong character.
Inspiration: It inspires us to prioritize and work on building our character, recognizing its significance in our lives and how it shapes our actions and relationships.
30. Vincent H. O’Neil: “When you have character, you hold yourself accountable to yourself.” – This quote tells us that having character means being responsible to ourselves and holding ourselves to high standards.
Inspiration: It motivates us to develop a strong character by being accountable for our actions and decisions, fostering personal growth and integrity.
31. Yousuf Karsh: “Character, like a photograph, develops in darkness.” – This quote likens character development to a photograph that becomes visible in the darkroom. It implies that character grows through challenges and difficult times.
Inspiration: It encourages us to embrace adversity and challenges as opportunities for character growth, knowing that the darkest moments can shape us positively.
32. Sahara Sanders: “Hardships occur to build a person’s character.” – This quote states that difficult situations and hardships are not just obstacles but serve to construct and strengthen an individual’s character.
Inspiration: It inspires us to face challenges with resilience, understanding that they are opportunities for us to grow and become better people.
33. Naide P Obiang: “The quality of your friends says a lot about your character.” – This quote suggests that the type of friends you have can reflect your character and values.
Inspiration: It encourages us to be mindful of our friendships and to surround ourselves with people who uplift and support our character development.
34. Kilroy J. Oldster: “We develop our whole character from our thoughts, actions, attentive observations, and from the resolute pursuit of our inspirational dreams.” – This quote highlights that our character is formed by our thoughts, actions, keen observations, and by passionately pursuing our dreams.
Inspiration: It motivates us to be conscious of our thoughts and actions, to stay observant, and to chase our dreams with determination, as these factors contribute to building a strong and admirable character.
Quotes about building character in hard times
35. Eleanor Roosevelt: “People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is built.” – This quote tells us that when we face life’s challenges honestly and with courage, we learn and grow from those experiences, ultimately building our character.
Inspiration: It inspires us to confront difficult situations bravely, as it’s through these challenges that we become stronger and develop our character.
36. Hermann Hesse: “People with courage and character always seem sinister to the rest.” – This quote suggests that those who display courage and strong character may seem different to others because they stand out.
Inspiration: It encourages us to be courageous and maintain our character even when it makes us stand apart, as these qualities are valuable in building a solid and admirable character.
37. Thomas Babington Macaulay: “The measure of a man’s real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.” – This quote implies that a person’s true character is revealed by their actions when no one is watching or judging them.
Inspiration: It motivates us to act with integrity and do what is right, not for recognition but because it’s a reflection of our character.
38. Jim Rohn: “Character isn’t something you were born with and can’t change, like your fingerprints. It’s something you weren’t born with and must take responsibility for forming.” – This quote emphasizes that character is not innate but something we have to actively shape and take responsibility for developing.
Inspiration: It inspires us to take ownership of our character and work on building it into something strong and virtuous.
39. Unknown: “Difficult times show true colors, hard times reveal true friends and the good will be blessed through the pain…Just let go and let God!” – This quote suggests that challenging times reveal people’s true character, expose genuine friendships, and provide opportunities for blessings and personal growth.
Inspiration: It motivates us to embrace difficult times as chances to display our true character, identify true friends, and find blessings amidst the hardships.
40. Michael Mbuko: “We need understanding to start seeing challenges and tough times as clay; for it helps us in sound character molding.” – This quote highlights that challenges and tough times are like clay that can be shaped to mold a strong character when we understand their value.
Inspiration: It encourages us to view challenges as opportunities for character development and personal growth, fostering a positive perspective in hard times.
41. Unknown: “Character isn’t who you are when life goes your way. Character is who you really are when the bottom falls out.” – This quote implies that true character is revealed when life takes a difficult turn, not when everything is going well.
Inspiration: It inspires us to maintain our character and values during tough times, as these moments define who we truly are.
42. Terry Mark: “Nothing good comes cheaply, so we shouldn’t be surprised when we meet the hard while going for the best. Hard times are not quiet times.” – This quote suggests that achieving valuable things often involves facing challenges and difficulties, which can be noisy and tough.
Inspiration: It motivates us to persevere through hard times and see them as part of the journey toward our goals, knowing that character-building is not always easy and quiet.
Quotes on education and character-building
43. Bruce Lee: “Knowledge will give you power, but character respect.” – This quote tells us that while knowledge can empower us, it’s our character that earns us respect from others.
Inspiration: It inspires us to focus on building a strong character alongside acquiring knowledge, recognizing that respect comes from our behavior and values.
44. David O. McKay: “True education does not consist merely in the acquiring of a few facts of science, history, literature, or art, but in the development of character.” – This quote emphasizes that real education goes beyond just learning facts; it involves the growth of one’s character.
Inspiration: It motivates us to understand that education is not solely about knowledge but also about becoming a better person through the values and principles we embrace.
45. William J. Clinton: “Character is a journey, not a destination.” – This quote suggests that character-building is an ongoing process rather than a final achievement.
Inspiration: It encourages us to view character development as a lifelong journey, reminding us that we can continually work on becoming better individuals.
46. Phillips Brooks: “A character may be manifested in the great moments, but it is made in the small ones.” – This quote tells us that while character can be seen in significant events, it is formed through everyday actions and decisions.
Inspiration: It inspires us to pay attention to our small daily choices, as they are the building blocks of our character.
47. C.S. Lewis: “Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather make a man a more clever devil.” – This quote suggests that education, without a foundation of values, can lead to individuals using their knowledge for negative purposes.
Inspiration: It motivates us to not only seek knowledge but also to develop and uphold strong values, as they are integral to the positive use of education.
48. Alexandra K. Trenfor: “The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don’t tell you what to see.” – This quote implies that great educators guide us to find answers ourselves rather than just providing the answers.
Inspiration: It encourages us to be curious and independent learners, as these qualities contribute to character-building through the pursuit of knowledge.
49. Donalyn Miller: “The purpose of school should not be to prepare students for more school. We should be seeking to have fully engaged students now.” – This quote suggests that the goal of education should be to engage and develop students in the present, not just prepare them for future education.
Inspiration: It motivates us to make the most of our current learning experiences, focusing on character development and active engagement in the learning process.
I hope you liked the above Character Building & Character Development Quotes. Don’t forget to mention the best line that you liked most from the above lines in the comment box below.
You may also like the motivational articles mentioned below:
- Expectation Quotes
- Experience Quotes
- Achievement Quotes
- Friendship Quotes
- Honesty Quotes
- Truth Telling Quotes