Depression is a mood disorder that causes persistent sadness and loss of interest. This affects you in some way like how you feel, how you think, and how you behave. In addition, it can cause a variety of emotional and physical problems.
Depression is a serious mental illness that interferes with a person’s life and makes it difficult to live. There is no single cause for depression. This can happen for many reasons and has many different triggers. It can also cause physical symptoms of pain, appetite changes, and sleep problems.
For some people, an upsetting or stressful life event, such as bereavement, divorce, illness, redundancy, and job or money worries, maybe the cause.
In this article, we have brought you some motivational depression quotes, which will try to give you a little information about its symptoms and its treatment. So let’s read inspirational quotes on depression.
Inspirational Depression Quotes
- What is depression?
- Motivational Quotes about depression
- Cause of depression
- Treatment for depression
Quotes to know what is depression
Read here depression quotes to know what is depression in our life.
1. Henry Wadsworth Longfellow: “Every man has his secret sorrows which the world knows not, and often times we call a man cold when he is only sad.”
- This quote reminds us that people can carry hidden pain, and sometimes we mistake their sadness for aloofness. It inspires us to be more compassionate and understanding, realizing that there might be more to someone’s feelings than what we see on the surface.
2. Andrew Solomon: “Grief is depression in proportion to circumstance; depression is grief out of proportion to circumstance.”
- This quote helps us understand the difference between grief and depression. It teaches us that while it’s natural to feel sad during tough times, depression can make those feelings much worse, even when life’s challenges don’t seem to justify it. It inspires empathy for those dealing with depression.
3. Laurell K. Hamilton: “There are wounds that never show on the body that are deeper and more hurtful than anything that bleeds.”
- This quote highlights that emotional pain, like depression, can be incredibly deep and painful, even though it’s not visible. It inspires us to recognize and acknowledge the hidden struggles of those with mental health issues and offer support.
4. Elizabeth Wurtzel: “That’s the thing about depression: A human being can survive almost anything, as long as she sees the end in sight. But depression is so insidious, and it compounds daily, that it’s impossible to ever see the end.”
- This quote underscores the challenging nature of depression. It suggests that people can endure almost any hardship if they believe it will eventually come to an end. However, depression can be particularly tough because it feels endless. This insight encourages us to be patient and supportive to those suffering from depression.
5. Julie Schumacher: “Depression is an illness, and no fault of the person who suffers from it.”
- This quote emphasizes that depression is not a choice or a character flaw but an illness, just like any other medical condition. It inspires us to approach depression with empathy and understanding, without blaming or stigmatizing those who experience it.
Motivational Quotes about depression
6. Joyce Meyer: “Depression begins with disappointment. When disappointment festers in our souls, it leads to discouragement.”
- This quote reminds us that depression often starts with feeling let down or disappointed. When we don’t address these disappointments, they can grow and make us feel discouraged and downhearted. It inspires us to address our disappointments and seek help or support to prevent them from turning into something more profound like depression.
7. Laurell K. Hamilton: “There are wounds that never show on the body that are deeper and more hurtful than anything that bleeds.”
- This quote points out that emotional wounds can be much deeper and more painful than physical ones, even though they don’t leave visible scars. It inspires us to recognize and acknowledge the profound pain people with depression experience, offering them empathy and understanding.
8. Jeffrey Eugenides: “Depression is like a bruise that never goes away. A bruise in your mind. You just got to be careful not to touch it where it hurts. It’s always there, though.”
- This quote likens depression to a mental bruise that lingers and can be sensitive. It’s a constant presence, even though it might not always hurt intensely. It inspires us to be cautious with our own mental well-being and the well-being of others, understanding that depression can persist, even if it’s not always visible.
9. Shaun David Hutchinson: “Depression isn’t a war you win. It’s a battle you fight every day. You never stop, never get to rest. It’s one bloody fray after another.”
- This quote explains that depression is not something you conquer once and for all; it’s a daily struggle. People with depression face continuous challenges. It inspires us to have compassion for those dealing with depression, recognizing that it’s an ongoing battle that requires support and understanding.
Quotes to know cause of depression
10. Sylvia Plath: “The silence depressed me. It wasn’t the silence of silence. It was my own silence.”
- This quote suggests that sometimes, what makes us feel depressed is not external silence but our own inner turmoil and self-imposed isolation. It inspires us to acknowledge our emotions and reach out to others, as sharing our thoughts and feelings can help alleviate depression.
11. Dr. Seuss: “All alone! Whether you like it or not, alone is something you’ll be quite a lot!”
- This quote reminds us that there will be times in life when we might feel alone, whether we want to or not. It inspires us to accept and embrace our moments of solitude and find strength within ourselves, even during difficult times.
12. Lao Tzu: “If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.”
- This quote suggests that depression can be connected to dwelling on past events. It encourages us to focus on the present and be mindful, as being in the moment can bring peace and alleviate feelings of depression.
13. Miriam Toews: “Perhaps depression is caused by asking oneself too many unanswerable questions.”
- This quote proposes that overthinking and pondering unanswerable questions can contribute to depression. It inspires us to seek realistic solutions and avoid getting caught up in a cycle of unproductive self-questioning. Instead, focus on what is within our control and let go of the rest.
Treatment for depression
14. Emilie Autumn: “Studies show that intelligent girls are more depressed because they know the world.”
- This quote suggests that knowledgeable individuals, especially intelligent girls, can sometimes feel more depressed because they are more aware of the challenges in the world. It inspires us to appreciate the value of intelligence and knowledge while also recognizing the need for support and self-care.
15. Amit Ray: “If you want to conquer the anxiety of life, live in the moment, live in the breath.”
- This quote advises us that to overcome the worries of life, we should focus on the present moment, on our breathing. It encourages us to practice mindfulness, which can be an effective treatment for anxiety and depression.
16. Corrie Ten Boom: “If you look at the world, you’ll be distressed. If you look within, you’ll be depressed. If you look at God you’ll be at rest.”
- This quote suggests that finding inner peace and relief from depression may come from looking to one’s faith or spirituality. It inspires us to explore our own beliefs and seek solace in what provides us with comfort and tranquility.
17. Eleanor Roosevelt: “Work is always an antidote to depression.”
- This quote highlights that engaging in meaningful work can help alleviate depression. It inspires us to find purpose and fulfillment through activities or jobs that give our lives meaning and structure.
18. Matt Lucas: “Keep yourself busy if you want to avoid depression. For me, inactivity is the enemy.”
- This quote reminds us that staying active and engaged in various activities can help prevent depression. It encourages us to stay busy and find hobbies or pursuits that bring joy and fulfillment to our lives.
19. helpguide.org: “Sometimes, just thinking about the things you should do to feel better, like exercising or spending time with friends, can seem exhausting or impossible to put into action.” – This quote acknowledges that when you’re depressed, even simple self-help actions may seem overwhelming. It inspires us to seek support from professionals, friends, or family to help overcome these challenges and make positive changes.
20. helpguide.org: “By taking small but positive steps day by day, you’ll soon lift the heavy fog of depression and find yourself feeling happier, healthier, and more hopeful again.”
- This quote encourages us to understand that recovery from depression doesn’t happen overnight. It’s a gradual process of taking small, positive steps each day. It inspires hope by emphasizing that consistent efforts can lead to a brighter and healthier future.
I hope you liked the above Depression Quotes. Don’t forget to mention the best line that you liked most from the above lines in the comment box below.
You may also like the motivational articles mentioned below:
- Expectation Quotes
- Experience Quotes
- Achievement Quotes
- Friendship Quotes
- Honesty Quotes
- Truth Telling Quotes
- House Quotes