The full form of EVM is Electronic Voting Machine.
The EVM is an electronic voting that is used to records votes.
It was developed and tested by the state-owned Electronics Corporation of India and Bharat Electronics in the 1990s. And, introduced in Indian elections between 1998 and 2001, in a phased manner.
Prior to the introduction of electronic voting, India used paper ballots and manual counting.
History of EVM
- The first voting machine in India was invented by M. B. Haneefa in 1980.
- The original design of this machine was shown to the public in different Government Exhibitions held in six different cities across Tamil Nadu.
- EVM is first used in the election of the Paravur constituency in Kerala for a limited number of polling stations in 1982.
- In 1989, the EVMs were commissioned by the Election Commission of India in collaboration with Electronics Corporation of India Limited.
Design of EVM
An EVM consists of two units:
- Control unit
- Balloting unit
The two units are joined by a five-meter cable.
The Polling Officer in Incharge of the Control Unit will issue the ballot by clicking on the Ballot Button of the Control Unit. For this, the voter will have to click on the blue button in front of the applicant and the symbol of his choice on the ballot device to show his support.
Benefits of EVM
- Vote counting is faster. EVM provides a faster way than the conventional method of calculating votes. It preserves the effort and money of the election staff.
- EVM reduces the chance of doubtful or invalid votes.
- It is an eco-friendly process as it does not involve the use of paper that helps save trees.
- EVM is a cost-effective method because only one ballot paper or document is required in each voting place, and the transportation costs of EVM are also lower than the traditional ballot boxes.
- It can be carried or moved from one location to the next without any difficulty.
- In less time, more people will be able to cast votes.
- The data can be stored for future reference for a prolonged period.
Thanks for reading EVM Full Form.
You can read the others full forms from the below list: