Is honesty always right? To know this, you can read the below quotes about “honesty is the best policy“.
Honesty is a virtue that is often spoken about but only sometimes practiced. As we know, that honesty is the foundation of trust and integrity, and it is essential for building solid relationships with others. Honesty is not always easy, but it is always the right thing to do. The famous proverb, “honesty is the best policy,” reminds us that being truthful is the best way to live our lives. It reminds us that honesty is a crucial part of being a good person, and it encourages us always to strive to be honest in our words and actions. Is it really good to be honest? Is honesty really the best policy? Different people can have different opinions about this.
In this article, we will explore some of the most inspiring and thought-provoking quotes about ‘honesty is the best policy’ which will help you to know about the different opinions of different people. Ultimately you have to decide what is right or wrong for you. You can answer this in the comment section below.
Let’s read the quotes.
‘Honesty is The Best Policy’ Quotes
1. “Honesty is the best policy. If I lose mine honor, I lose myself.” ― William Shakespeare
2. “There are people who think that honesty is always the best policy. This is a superstition; there are times when the appearance of it is worth six of it.” ― Mark Twain
3. “Honesty is always the best policy, even when it’s not the trend.” ― Sean Covey
4. “Honesty is, honestly, the best policy,” said Saracen. “But when honesty doesn’t work, lie, and lie convincingly.” ― Derek Landy
5. “I am afraid we must make the world honest before we can honestly say to our children that honesty is the best policy.” ― George Bernard Shaw
6. “I hold the maxim no less applicable to public than to private affairs, that honesty is always the best policy.” ― George Washington
7. “Honesty is the best policy because there can be nothing less.” ― Robert Monroe
8. “Honesty is the best policy – when there is money in it.” ― Mark Twain
9. “Honesty is not always the best policy when it hurts the person you care about the most and pushes them away.” ― Alison G. Bailey
10. “Honesty is the best policy, but insanity is a better defense.” ― Steve Landesberg
11. “Honesty is occasionally the best policy,” she said yawning. And then she added, “By the Black Staff of Beldar, I am tired. If I can find a usable bed in what’s left of my house I intend to collapse on it. And Elwyn, if you disturb me before dawn, I promise, I will turn you into a train of thought, and lose you.” ― L.J. Smith, The Night of the Solstice
12. “Honesty may be the best policy, but it’s important to remember that apparently, by elimination, dishonesty is the second-best policy.” ― George Carlin
13. “For you soon learn that there are some things that simply should not be discussed with the loved one; and conversely, there are some things the loved one ought not discuss with you. I think most of my generation believes that “honesty is the best policy” and that spouses should discuss every single thing that bothers them with the other spouse. Bad plan. Openness is important and helpful, but only so far. At some point, openness can become a weapon, a spiteful way to hurt someone—“But I was only telling the truth.” ― Ken Wilber
14. “The real truth is—honesty is rarely the best policy. Most nice people are liars and most jerks are honest.” ― Jewel E. Ann
15. “If honesty were truly the best policy, humanity would not continually be in the mess it’s in.” ― Marty Rubin
16. “Some people will tell you that honesty is the best policy, but I disagree. In instances like this, I fully believe that feigned ignorance is the best policy.” ― Leila Sales
17. “Whoever claimed honesty is the best policy, or even a good one, clearly had very limited experience with the real world.” ― Jeff Lindsay
18. “Honesty is the best policy; but he who is governed by that maxim is not an honest man.” ― Richard Whately
19. “Whoever coined the phrase “honesty is the best policy” was a liar. Me and my big mouth.” ― Edward Southgate
20. “Honesty is the best policy’ is a text you have copied out so many times in your youth that it has quite ruined your mind.” ― Leonard Wibberley
21. “Honesty is the best policy. When you’re looking in the mirror, be honest with yourself about your strengths. And then dress to cater to them. Don’t be shy about what you like about yourself!” ― Tati Green
22. “Honesty is not the best policy in life. Only, perhaps, in art.” ― Salman Rushdie
23. “I’m also not a fan of anything that’s brutal, including honesty. Honesty is the best policy, but honesty that’s motivated by shame, anger, fear, or hurt is not “honesty.” It’s shame, anger, fear, or hurt disguised as honesty. Just because something is accurate or factual doesn’t mean it can’t be used in a destructive manner: “Sorry. I’m just telling you the truth. These are just the facts.” ― Brené Brown
24. “Although honesty is said to be the best policy, when it comes to ourselves it is often the hardest.” ― Charles F. Glassman
25. “Anyone who says honesty is the best policy is living in la-la land. Either that or they have never been married or had children. Parents lie to their kids all the time–about sex, drugs, death, and a hundred other things. We lie to those we love to protect their feelings. We lie because that’s what love means, whereas unfettered honesty is cruel and the height of self-indulgence.” ― Michael Robotham
26. “Honesty has become the second best policy with your spouse…discretions apply elsewhere” ― Amit Abraham
Image made with Canva