Read here the most valuable quotes & thoughts of M S Swaminathan that will teach you the importance of agriculture, farming, food safety, and more.
Who is M.S. Swaminathan?
M.S. Swaminathan is an Indian Indian geneticist, international administrator, and popularly known as “Father of Green Revolution in India”. He is best known for his leading role in India’s “Green Revolution” in introducing and further developing high-yielding varieties of wheat in India. For his work, he received many awards such as Padma Vibhushan, Padma Bhushan, Padma Shri, World Food Prize, Albert Einstein World Award of Science & many more.
M S Swaminathan valuable quotes
Everything depends on Agriculture
1. “If agriculture goes wrong, nothing else will have a chance to go right.” ― M. S. Swaminathan
2. “Farming is the riskiest profession in the world since the fate of the crop is closely linked to the behavior of the monsoon.” ― M. S. Swaminathan
3. “Agriculture is the backbone of the livelihood security system of nearly 700 million people in the country.” ― M. S. Swaminathan
4. “Agriculture can trigger job-led economic growth, provided it becomes intellectually satisfying and economically rewarding.” ― M. S. Swaminathan
5. “Contract farming can be promoted if it is structured on the basis of a win-win situation both for the producer and the purchaser.” ― M. S. Swaminathan
6. “Farmers are happy so long as their net income will not be adversely affected.” ― M. S. Swaminathan
7. “In organic farming, in the first couple of years, you may drop in yield until you build up the soil fertility – you need inputs for output.” ― M. S. Swaminathan
8. “Training farmers in integrated pest management is exceedingly important to protect them during the use of pesticides.” ― M. S. Swaminathan
9. “Technology can advance yield and productivity, but only public policy can advance the income of farmers. There has to be a synergy between technology and public policy.” ― M. S. Swaminathan
10. “Agriculture involves crop husbandry, animal husbandry, forestry, and fisheries. Your income will go up only if you look at the system, and not from one crop alone.” ― M. S. Swaminathan
11. “We need to build our food security on the foundation of homegrown food.” ― M. S. Swaminathan
12. “The future of food security will depend on a combination of the ecological prudence of the past and the technological advances of today.” ― M. S. Swaminathan
Future of nation
13. “I have frequently pointed out that the future belongs to nations with grains and not guns.” ― M. S. Swaminathan
Major challenges for the country
14. “There are two major challenges before Indian agriculture today: ecological and economic.” ― M. S. Swaminathan
15. “The conservation of our basic agricultural assets such as land, water, and biodiversity is a major challenge.” ― M. S. Swaminathan
16. “How to make agriculture sustainable is the challenge.” ― M. S. Swaminathan
17. “Leadership is something which other people have to recognize. You cannot demand that I am a leader.” ― M. S. Swaminathan
Related: V. V. Giri Quotes on leadership
Take care of the environment
18. “Genetic modification is a very powerful tool. But like any powerful tool, when using it, you have to take into account the environmental impact, the food safety aspects, and so on. There must be a strong regulatory mechanism.” ― M. S. Swaminathan
19. “Where there is a challenge there has to be a response.” ― M. S. Swaminathan
20. “You want to live in harmony with nature and with each other.” ― M. S. Swaminathan
Final Words: I hope you liked the above M S Swaminathan Quotes. Don’t forget to mention the best line that you liked most from the above lines in the comment box below.
You may also like the Motivational quotes mentioned below: