The full form of NATO is the North Atlantic Treaty Organization. NATO is an intergovernmental military alliance between 27 European countries, 2 North American countries, and 1 Eurasian country.
The organization implements the North Atlantic Treaty that was signed on 4 April 1949. It is also called the North Atlantic Alliance.
The NATO headquarters are located in Brussels, Belgium, while the headquarters of Allied Command Operations is near Mons, Belgium.
Since its founding, the admission of new member states has increased the alliance from the original 12 countries to 30. The most recent member state to be added to NATO was North Macedonia on 27 March 2020.
NATO currently recognizes Bosnia and Herzegovina, Georgia, and Ukraine as aspiring members. An additional 20 countries participate in NATO’s Partnership for Peace program, with 15 other countries involved in institutionalized dialogue programs.
The combined military spending of all NATO members in 2020 constituted over 57% of the global nominal total. Members agreed that their aim is to reach or maintain the target defense spending of at least 2% of their GDP by 2024.
Goal of Nato
- NATO constitutes a system of collective security, whereby its independent member states agree to mutual defense in response to an attack by any external party.
History of NATO
- When the United States and several European nations joined the North Atlantic Treaty to cooperate against aggressors, NATO was created in 1949 after World War II.
- It began in 1949 with just 12 member states: Belgium, Denmark, Canada, France, Italy, Iceland, the Netherlands, Luxembourg, Norway, Portugal, the United Kingdom, and the United States.
- Greece and Turkey joined the organization in 1952
- It was joined by West Germany in 1955.
- Spain joined the Organization in 1982.
- Hungary, the Czech Republic, and Poland were invited to join the organization in 1997.
- One year after in 2004, NATO took command of the United Nations-mandated International Security Assistance Force (ISAF), it was joined by seven countries; Bulgaria, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Romania, Slovakia, and Slovenia.
- Albania and Croatia became their members in 2009.
Member Countries of NATO
- Canada 1949
- Belgium 1949
- Denmark 1949
- France 1949
- Iceland 1949
- Italy 1949
- Luxembourg 1949
- Netherlands 1949
- Norway 1949
- Portugal 1949
- United Kingdom 1949
- United States 1949
- Greece 1952
- Turkey 1952
- Germany 1955
- Spain 1982
- Czech Republic 1999
- Hungary 1999
- Poland 1999
- Bulgaria 2004
- Estonia 2004
- Latvia 2004
- Lithuania 2004
- Romania 2004
- Slovakia 2004
- Slovenia 2004
- Albania 2009
- Croatia 2009
- Montenegro 2017
- North Macedonia 2020
Thanks for reading the NATO Full Form and its brief history.
You can read the others full forms from the below list: