You communicate with the people around you through speaking or writing. Grammar is very important for communication. If you are not communicating with them in the proper way, then they will not be able to understand you.
What is Grammar?
Grammar is the structure or system of the language for speaking or writing. It is the composition of words, phrases, and clauses.
Definition of Grammar
Here are some definitions of grammar.
1. Grammar is the system of a given language at a given time.
2. Grammar is the study of language that deals with the form and structure of words, with their customary arrangement in phrases and sentences (syntax), and now often with language sounds (phonetics) and word meanings (semantics).
3. Grammar is the study of the way words and phrases are used to form sentences.
Importance of English Grammar
1. It helps improve your communication skills with others
When you meet someone, if there is a grammatical mistake in your talking while communicating with him, then it is not easy for the front person to understand. Therefore, it is necessary to learn grammar for better communication.
2. It gives you the confidence to appear job interview
Poor grammar is bad for your images when you are in an interview. Most companies required better writing skills such as email writing, and report making. better communication with customers, etc. For cracking any interview, you need to learn good grammar.
3. It helps to avoid common mistakes while writing or speaking
When you write articles for a news company or resume for a job, better grammar understanding is very important. When you want to put your opinion in front of someone, then with the help of good grammar, you can explain it to them.
4. It helps you learn how to build words into coherent sentences
Your words are most important. The right word makes your sentence very coherent and attracts people to you.
5. It helps to use proper punctuation marks to form a meaningful sentence.
Punctuation is important. When you know how to use it correctly then your sentence becomes meaningful. If punctuation is not used correctly, then your sentence gets misinterpreted. Like these two sentences “Let’s eat mother” and Let’s eat, mother. The first means eat the mother. And the meaning of the second sentence is that you are calling mom for dinner. That’s why it’s important to use the right punctuation marks.
Quotes about the importance of Grammar
1. “Your grammar is a reflection of your image. Good or bad, you have made an impression. And like all impressions, you are in total control.” ― Jeffrey Gitomer
2. “I don’t know the rules of grammar… If you’re trying to persuade people to do something, or buy something, it seems to me you should use their language, the language they use every day, the language in which they think. We try to write in the vernacular.” ― David Ogilvy
3. “Descriptive grammar is an attempt to give an account of what the current system is for either a society or an individual, whatever you happen to be studying.” ― Noam Chomsky
4. “Be able to correctly pronounce the words you would like to speak and have excellent spoken grammar.” ― Marilyn vos Savant
5. “I think grammar teaching should start with real examples of language in use: journalism, fiction, songs, ads, instructions, headlines, transcripts of conversations and so on.” ― Michael Rosen