The full form of ITBP is the Indo-Tibetan Border Police.
ITBP is India’s primary border patrol organization for its border with the Tibet Autonomous Region.
- It is one of the five Central Armed Police Forces of India, established on 24 October 1962 under the CRPF Act in the wake of the 1962 Sino-Indian War.
- It is one of the five Central Armed Police Forces of India, raised on 24 October 1962, under the CRPF Act, in the wake of the Sino-Indian War of 1962.
In September 1996, the Parliament of India enacted the “Indo-Tibetan Border Police Force Act, 1992” to “provide for the constitution and regulation” of the ITBP to ensure the security of India’s borders.
The first chief of the ITBP, designated Inspector General, was Balbir Singh who was earlier a police officer belonging to the Intelligence Bureau.
Roles of ITBP
ITBP is a multi-dimensional force that mainly has 5 functions:
- Vigil on the northern borders, detection and prevention of border violations, and promotion of the sense of security among the local populace.
- Check illegal immigration and trans-border smuggling.
- Provide security to sensitive installations and threatened VIPs
- Restore and preserve order in any area in the event of a disturbance.
- To maintain peace.
Majors works of ITBP
- ITBP conducts Long Range and Short Range patrols to keep an effective vigil on inaccessible and unmanned areas on the border.
- The ITBP has recently taken on a role in rescue and relief operations in various disaster situations. ITBP was the first to establish 06 (now 08) Regional Response Centres in Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand, and Northeast India
- ITBP has established a National Centre for Training in Search, Rescue & Disaster response at Bhanu, Haryana. The center is known as NICD.
- ITBP Commando units provide security to the Embassy and consulates of India in Afghanistan.
- ITBP is also deployed in United Nations Mission in Congo since November 2005.
- ITBP is also providing security to the pilgrims during Annual Kailash Mansarovar Yatra from 1981.
- ITBP has provided a Quarantine camp at Chhawala in New Delhi for the suspected persons during the COVID-19 pandemic who were evacuated from Wuhan.
Thanks for reading the ITBP Full Form.
You can read the others full forms from the below list: