Read here the best inspirational and motivational quotes said by William Ellery Channing.
William Ellery Channing was a U.S. author and the most famous Unitarian minister in the United States in the early nineteenth century.
He was a leading figure in the development of New England Transcendentalism and of organized attempts in the U.S. to eliminate slavery, drunkenness, poverty, and war.
Channing was known for his articulate and impassioned sermons, public speeches, and as a prominent thinker in the liberal theology of the day.
Inspirational Quotes by William Ellery Channing
Importance of home
1. “The home is the chief school of human virtues.” ― William Ellery Channing
Importance of difficult times
2. “Difficulties are meant to rouse, not discourage. The human spirit is to grow strong by conflict.” ― William Ellery Channing
Power of books
3. “It is chiefly through books that we enjoy intercourse with superior minds.” ― William Ellery Channing
4. “In the best books, great men talk to us, give us their most precious thoughts, and pour their souls into ours.” ― William Ellery Channing
5. “The best books for a man are not always those which the wise recommend, but often those which meet the peculiar wants, the natural thirst of his mind, and therefore awaken interest and rivet thought.” ― William Ellery Channing
Power of poetry
6. “Poetry reveals to us the loveliness of nature, brings back the freshness of youthful feelings, reviews the relish of simple pleasures, keeps unquenched the enthusiasm which warmed the springtime of our being, refines youthful love, strengthens our interest in human nature, by vivid delineations of its tenderest and softest feelings, and through the brightness of its prophetic visions, helps faith to lay hold on the future life.” ― William Ellery Channing
Every person has his own character
7. “Every human being is intended to have a character of his own; to be what no other is, and to do what no other can do.” ― William Ellery Channing
8. “The great hope of society is in individual character.” ― William Ellery Channing
9. “No power in society, no hardship in your condition can depress you, keep you down, in knowledge, power, virtue, influence, but by your own consent.” ― William Ellery Channing
10. “Undoubtedly a man is to labor to better his condition, but first to better himself.” ― William Ellery Channing
11. “It is not the quantity but the quality of knowledge that determines the mind’s dignity.” ― William Ellery Channing
Power of Great minds
12. “Great minds are to make others great. Their superiority is to be used, not to break the multitude to intellectual vassalage, not to establish over them a spiritual tyranny, but to rouse them from lethargy, and to aid them to judge for themselves.” ― William Ellery Channing
13. “The world is governed by opinion.” ― William Ellery Channing
14. “To educate a child perfectly requires profound thought, greater wisdom than to govern a state.” ― William Ellery Channing
15. “May your life preach more loudly than your lips.” ― William Ellery Channing
16. “Every man is a volume if you know how to read him.” ― William Ellery Channing
17. “Faith is love taking the form of aspiration.” ― William Ellery Channing
18. “Error is discipline through which we advance.” ― William Ellery Channing
19. “Peace is the fairest form of happiness.” ― William Ellery Channing
20. “Fix your eyes on perfection and you make almost everything speeds towards it.” ― William Ellery Channing
21. “Every mind was made for growth, for knowledge, and its nature is sinned against when it is doomed to ignorance.” ― William Ellery Channing
I hope you liked the above William Ellery Channing Quotes. Don’t forget to mention the best line that you liked most from the above lines in the comment box below.
You may also like the Motivational quotes mentioned below: