Maya Angelou was an amazing person with many wise quotes to share. Her quotes are like little gems of wisdom that can brighten your day and inspire you. In this article, we will explore some of Maya Angelou’s most famous and impactful quotes. These quotes cover a wide range of topics, from love and courage to diversity and perseverance. They offer valuable life lessons and insights that can help us navigate the ups and downs of life. Whether you’re looking for motivation, wisdom, or just a little inspiration, Maya Angelou’s quotes have something to offer. Join us on this journey through her words and discover the power of her timeless wisdom.
Maya Angelou Quotes
Maya Angelou’s words continue to inspire and resonate with people from all walks of life, offering wisdom, encouragement, and insight on a wide range of topics. Here are some of here quotes:
Maya Angelou’s Quotes on Friendship and Connection:
1. “A friend may be waiting behind a stranger’s face.” – This quote tells us that sometimes, people who seem like strangers or newcomers could turn out to be great friends. It encourages us to be open to new connections and not judge people too quickly based on appearances.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to be more welcoming and open to meeting new people. It reminds us that true friendships can come from unexpected places.
2. “Never make someone a priority when all you are to them is an option.” – This quote advises us not to invest too much time and effort in someone who doesn’t value or prioritize us in return. It emphasizes the importance of mutual respect in relationships.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to value ourselves and our time. It encourages us to seek relationships where we are respected and treated as a priority, just as we should do the same for others.
3. “No one can take the place of a friend, no one.” – This quote highlights the unique and irreplaceable role that friends play in our lives. It reminds us of the special bond and support that true friends provide.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to cherish and nurture our friendships. It encourages us to be there for our friends and appreciate the meaningful connections we have in our lives.
Maya Angelou’s Quotes on Dreams and Aspirations:
4. “A person is the product of their dreams. So make sure to dream great dreams. And then try to live your dream.” – This quote suggests that our dreams shape who we become. It encourages us to dream big and then take action to turn those dreams into reality.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to set ambitious goals and work towards achieving them. It reminds us that our dreams can be a driving force for personal growth and success.
5. “All great achievements require time.” – This quote tells us that significant accomplishments don’t happen overnight. It emphasizes the importance of patience and perseverance in pursuing our goals.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to be patient and persistent in our endeavors. It reminds us that it’s normal for success to take time, and the journey is as important as the destination.
Maya Angelou’s Quotes on Daring and Creativity:
6. “I believe that the most important single thing, beyond discipline and creativity is daring to dare.” – This quote emphasizes the importance of taking risks and having the courage to try new things. It suggests that daring to step outside your comfort zone is crucial for personal growth and creativity.
7. “You can only become truly accomplished at something you love. Don’t make money your goal. Instead pursue the things you love doing and then do them so well that people can’t take their eyes off of you.” – This quote advises us to focus on what we are passionate about rather than solely chasing financial success. It suggests that mastery of our passions will naturally lead to recognition and success.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to follow our passions and excel in the things we love. It encourages us to prioritize fulfillment and excellence over monetary gain.
8. “You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have.” – This quote suggests that creativity is a boundless resource. The more we use our creative abilities, the more they grow and develop.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to embrace and explore our creative potential. It encourages us to continually exercise our creative muscles and believe in our capacity for endless creativity.
Maya Angelou’s Quotes on Trust and Authenticity:
9. “I don’t trust anyone who doesn’t laugh.” – This quote implies that a sense of humor and the ability to laugh are indicators of trustworthiness and authenticity in a person.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to be genuine and lighthearted in our interactions with others. It encourages us to trust those who can find humor and joy in life.
10. “I don’t trust people who don’t love themselves and tell me, ‘I love you.’ … There is an African saying which is: Be careful when a naked person offers you a shirt.” – This quote suggests that people who don’t have self-love may not be sincere in their expressions of love for others. It advises caution in such situations.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to prioritize self-love and authenticity in our relationships. It reminds us to be discerning and genuine in both giving and receiving love and affection.
Maya Angelou’s Quotes on Women’s Empowerment:
11. “A woman in harmony with her spirit is like a river flowing. She goes where she will without pretense and arrives at her destination prepared to be herself and only herself.” – This quote suggests that when a woman is true to herself and at peace with her inner self, she can navigate life authentically and confidently, just like a flowing river. She doesn’t need to pretend to be someone she’s not.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us, especially women, to embrace our true selves and be comfortable with who we are. It encourages us to live our lives authentically and confidently, without the need to conform to others’ expectations.
12. “A woman who is convinced that she deserves to accept only the best challenges herself to give the best. Then she is living phenomenally.” – This quote tells us that when a woman believes she deserves the best in life, she will strive to excel and give her best in return. This mindset leads to a remarkable and fulfilling life.
Inspiration: This quote inspires women to have high self-esteem and set high standards for themselves. It encourages them to aim for excellence and take on challenges with confidence, leading to a phenomenal life.
13. “A woman’s heart should be so hidden in God that a man has to seek Him just to find her.” – This quote suggests that a woman’s inner qualities, like her kindness and love, should be deeply ingrained in her character. It shouldn’t be immediately apparent, but rather, someone should look beyond the surface to discover her true essence.
Inspiration: This quote encourages women to cultivate inner strength, resilience, and depth. It inspires them to be complex individuals whose true beauty and essence lie beyond superficial appearances.
14. “Ask for what you want and be prepared to get it!” – This quote advises us to be assertive and ask for what we desire in life. It implies that by asking confidently, we increase our chances of achieving our goals.
Inspiration: This quote inspires everyone, especially women, to be bold and assertive in pursuing their dreams and desires. It empowers individuals to actively seek what they want and be prepared for success.
15. “Each time a woman stands up for herself, without knowing it possibly, without claiming it, she stands up for all women.” – This quote highlights the significance of women advocating for themselves. It suggests that when one woman asserts her rights, she indirectly empowers and inspires other women to do the same.
Inspiration: This quote inspires women to be strong, assertive, and stand up for their rights and beliefs. It reminds them that their actions can have a positive ripple effect, encouraging other women to do the same.
16. “I love to see a young girl go out and grab the world by the lapels. Life’s a bitch. You’ve got to go out and kick ass.” – This quote celebrates young women who are fearless and determined to take on life’s challenges with confidence and vigor, even in the face of difficulties.
Inspiration: This quote inspires young women to be bold, resilient, and unafraid of life’s challenges. It encourages them to pursue their dreams with determination and enthusiasm.
17. “Strong women – precious jewels all – their humanness is evident in their accessibility. We are able to enter into the spirit of these women and rejoice in their warmth and courage.” – This quote acknowledges the strength of women and their ability to connect with others on a human level. It highlights the warm and courageous spirit of strong women.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to appreciate and celebrate the strength, warmth, and courage of women. It encourages us to connect with and support strong women in their endeavors.
18. “Women should be tough, tender, laugh as much as possible, and live long lives.” – This quote suggests that women should embody a balance of strength and vulnerability, maintain a sense of humor, and enjoy long, fulfilling lives.
Inspiration: This quote inspires women to be well-rounded and live life to the fullest. It encourages them to embrace their strength, tenderness, and laughter while pursuing long and happy lives.
19. “We may encounter many defeats but we must not be defeated.” – This quote acknowledges that challenges and failures are a part of life, but it emphasizes the importance of resilience and not letting those defeats define us.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to persevere in the face of adversity. It reminds us that setbacks should not deter us from pursuing our goals and dreams.
20. “The truth is, no one of us can be free until everybody is free.” – This quote conveys the idea that true freedom and equality can only be achieved when everyone in society is liberated from oppression and discrimination.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to work towards a more just and equitable world where everyone’s rights and freedoms are respected. It encourages us to stand up for the rights of all people, not just ourselves.
21. “A wise woman wishes to be no one’s enemy; a wise woman refuses to be anyone’s victim.” – This quote suggests that a wise woman seeks to avoid conflict and harm to others but also refuses to be mistreated or taken advantage of by anyone.
Inspiration: This quote inspires women to be assertive and self-reliant while also promoting peace and understanding. It encourages women to assert their independence and self-worth.
22. “I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me.” – This quote emphasizes the importance of self-advocacy and advocating for the well-being of oneself and others who share similar experiences and challenges.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to take a stand for ourselves and for those who may face similar struggles. It encourages self-empowerment and being a voice for positive change.
Maya Angelou’s Quotes on Gratitude:
23. “Be present in all things and thankful for all things.” – This quote encourages us to pay attention and appreciate the moments in our lives, big and small. It tells us to be thankful for everything we have.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to practice mindfulness, being fully engaged in the present moment. It reminds us to cultivate a sense of gratitude for the everyday blessings that often go unnoticed.
24. “Let gratitude be the pillow upon which you kneel to say your nightly prayer. And let faith be the bridge you build to overcome evil and welcome good.” – This quote suggests that gratitude should be at the core of our prayers and faith should guide us in overcoming challenges and embracing goodness.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to make gratitude a fundamental part of our lives. It encourages us to have faith in our ability to overcome difficulties and embrace positivity by focusing on the things we’re thankful for.
25. “I am grateful to be a woman. I must have done something great in another life.” – This quote expresses gratitude for being a woman and humorously implies that being a woman is a wonderful experience that could be a result of past good deeds.
Inspiration: This quote inspires women to appreciate their identity and gender. It encourages a positive perspective on being a woman and finding joy in one’s unique experiences.
Maya Angelou’s Quotes on Self-Acceptance and Positivity:
26. “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” – This quote tells us that our inner strength and goodness cannot be diminished by external circumstances or negativity. It emphasizes the power of inner light.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to believe in our inner strength and positivity. It encourages us to stay resilient and confident, even in challenging times.
27. “Nothing will work unless you do.” – This quote reminds us that to achieve our goals and make things happen, we must put in effort and work hard. Success requires action.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to take action and work diligently toward our aspirations. It reinforces the importance of personal responsibility and perseverance.
28. “Poetry puts starch in your backbone so you can stand, so you can compose your life.” – This quote suggests that poetry, or any form of creative expression, can give you the strength and confidence to face life’s challenges and shape your own story.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to turn to art, creativity, or any passion that gives us strength and helps us navigate life’s journey. It encourages self-expression and personal growth.
29. “You are the sum total of everything you’ve seen, heard, eaten, smelled, been told, forgot – it’s all right there.” – This quote implies that our experiences and knowledge, both positive and negative, shape who we are today. Everything we encounter contributes to our identity.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to embrace our uniqueness and accept ourselves, flaws and all. It reminds us that our life experiences, even the difficult ones, contribute to our individuality and should be appreciated.
Maya Angelou’s Quotes on Personal Growth:
30. “Bitterness is like cancer. It eats upon the host. But anger is like fire. It burns it all clean.” – This quote compares bitterness to a harmful disease that eats away at a person, while anger is described as a force that cleanses and purifies. It suggests that it’s better to express anger constructively than to let bitterness fester.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to manage our negative emotions in a healthy way, acknowledging that anger when channeled properly, can be a catalyst for positive change.
31. “Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.” – This quote advises us to always strive to do our best, but it also emphasizes the importance of learning and evolving. When we gain knowledge and understanding, we should use it to improve our actions.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to embrace continuous learning and growth. It encourages us to be open to change and to apply our newfound wisdom to become better versions of ourselves.
32. “I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better.” – This quote reinforces the idea that as we gain knowledge and experience, we should apply that knowledge to improve our actions and decisions.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to recognize our past mistakes and see them as opportunities for personal growth. It encourages us to strive for self-improvement and make better choices based on what we’ve learned.
33. “Each person deserves a day away in which no problems are confronted, no solutions searched for.” – This quote suggests that everyone should take a break from their daily challenges and enjoy a peaceful day without worrying about problems or seeking solutions.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to prioritize self-care and relaxation. It reminds us that it’s essential to take a break and recharge our mental and emotional well-being.
34. “I’ve learned that even when I have pains, I don’t have to be one.” – This quote teaches us that we can experience pain or difficulties in life without becoming bitter or negative ourselves. It encourages a positive attitude despite challenges.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to maintain a positive outlook, even in the face of adversity. It reminds us that our response to pain or hardship is within our control.
35. “I’ve learned that making a ‘living’ is not the same thing as ‘making a life’.” – This quote suggests that there is a difference between merely surviving (making a living) and truly living a fulfilling and meaningful life.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to prioritize a rich and purposeful life over mere survival. It encourages us to seek experiences that bring joy and fulfillment.
36. “I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” – This quote highlights the enduring impact of how we make others feel. Words and actions may fade from memory, but the feelings we evoke in people remain.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to be mindful of the emotional impact we have on others. It encourages us to strive for positive and uplifting interactions with people.
37. “I’ve learned that regardless of your relationship with your parents, you’ll miss them when they’re gone from your life.” – This quote acknowledges the complex nature of parent-child relationships. It suggests that despite the challenges, there’s a sense of loss when parents pass away.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to appreciate and reconcile with our parents, recognizing the significance of family bonds. It encourages us to cherish the time we have with loved ones.
38. “I’ve learned that whenever I decide something with an open heart, I usually make the right decision.” – This quote suggests that decisions made with sincerity and good intentions tend to be the right ones.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to trust our instincts and make choices from the heart. It encourages us to act with authenticity and follow our inner compass.
39. “I’ve learned that you shouldn’t go through life with a catcher’s mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw some things back.” – This quote advises against constantly receiving and bearing the weight of other people’s issues. It suggests that we should be selective in what we accept and be willing to set boundaries.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to establish healthy boundaries in our relationships and not carry the burdens of others. It encourages self-care and emotional well-being.
40. “If I am not good to myself, how can I expect anyone else to be good to me?” – This quote emphasizes the importance of self-care and self-respect. It suggests that to receive respect and kindness from others, we must first extend it to ourselves.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to prioritize self-love and self-compassion. It reminds us that being kind to ourselves is the foundation for positive interactions with others.
41. “If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know how amazing you can be.” – This quote encourages us to embrace our uniqueness and not conform to societal expectations of “normal.” It suggests that by being true to ourselves, we can discover our full potential.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to celebrate our individuality and pursue our unique talents and passions. It encourages us to break free from the constraints of conformity and explore our full potential.
42. “If you’re for the right thing, you do it without thinking.” – This quote implies that when you stand up for what is right and just, your actions should be instinctive and automatic, reflecting your values.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to act with integrity and stand up for what is right, without hesitation. It encourages us to be guided by our moral compass.
43. “Success is liking yourself, liking what you do, and liking how you do it.” – This quote defines success as having self-esteem, enjoying your work, and taking pride in how you conduct yourself.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to redefine success in terms of personal satisfaction and self-respect. It encourages us to find fulfillment in our own self-worth and in the way we approach life.
44. “Success is loving life and daring to live it.” – This quote defines success as a deep love for life itself and the courage to actively engage with it.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to pursue a successful life by embracing its joys and challenges. It encourages us to live life with passion and a sense of adventure.
Maya Angelou’s Quotes on Education and Reading:
45. “Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.” – This quote emphasizes the value of books that encourage children to read regularly and develop a love for reading. Such books have a positive impact on a child’s life.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to support and provide children with books that cultivate a reading habit. It highlights the lifelong benefits of nurturing a love for reading from a young age.
46. “The best candy shop a child can be left alone in, is the library.” – This quote suggests that a library, filled with books and knowledge, is like a delightful treat for a child. It’s a place where they can explore and learn independently.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to introduce children to the wonders of libraries and books. It underscores the idea that libraries are treasure troves of knowledge and imagination for young minds.
47. “When I look back, I am so impressed again with the life-giving power of literature. If I were a young person today, trying to gain a sense of myself in the world, I would do that again by reading, just as I did when I was young.” – This quote reflects on the profound influence of literature on personal growth and self-discovery. It suggests that reading is an essential tool for young people to understand themselves and the world around them.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to recognize the transformative power of reading. It encourages young people to embrace books as a means of self-exploration and gaining a deeper understanding of the world. It also reminds adults of the value of continuing to read and learn throughout life.
Maya Angelou’s Quotes on Resilience:
48. “Children’s talent to endure stems from their ignorance of alternatives.” – This quote suggests that children’s ability to endure difficult situations comes from not fully understanding or considering other options. They adapt and persist because they don’t know there are alternatives.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to learn from the resilience of children. It reminds us that sometimes, not knowing the alternatives can be an advantage, as it encourages us to keep going and adapt in challenging times.
49. “Hope for the best, be prepared for the worst. Life is shocking, but you must never appear to be shocked. For no matter how bad it is, it could be worse, and no matter how good it is, it could be better.” – This quote encourages us to maintain a balance of hope and preparedness in life. It reminds us that life can bring surprises, both good and bad, and we should adapt without appearing shocked.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to approach life with a positive attitude and resilience. It suggests that we should remain adaptable, prepared for change, and optimistic about the possibilities.
50. “Hoping for the best, prepared for the worst, and unsurprised by anything in between.” – This quote underscores the importance of optimism and readiness for any outcome. It suggests that we should face life’s ups and downs with composure and acceptance.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to develop a mindset that can handle any situation with grace. It encourages us to hope for the best while being equipped to handle whatever comes our way.
51. “You alone are enough. You have nothing to prove to anybody.” – This quote emphasizes the idea that our self-worth doesn’t depend on proving ourselves to others. We are enough just as we are.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to embrace self-acceptance and resilience in the face of judgment or expectations from others. It encourages us to recognize our inherent worth.
52. “You may encounter many defeats, but you must not be defeated. In fact, it may be necessary to encounter the defeats, so you can know who you are, what you can rise from, how you can still come out of it.” – This quote acknowledges that facing defeat is part of life’s journey. It suggests that these defeats are opportunities for self-discovery, personal growth, and rising above challenges.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to see defeats not as failures but as valuable experiences that teach us resilience. It encourages us to use setbacks as stepping stones to greater strength and self-awareness.
53. “You may not control all the events that happen to you, but you can decide not to be reduced by them.” – This quote reminds us that we can’t control everything that happens in life, but we have the power to control how we react and whether we allow challenges to diminish our spirit.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to take charge of our responses to adversity. It encourages us to stand resilient in the face of events beyond our control and maintain our inner strength.
54. “You may shoot me with your words, you may cut me with your eyes, you may kill me with your hatefulness, but still, like air, I’ll rise!” – This quote conveys the idea of indomitable resilience. It suggests that even in the face of hurtful words and actions from others, a person can still rise and persevere.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to cultivate unwavering resilience, remaining strong and rising above negativity and adversity. It encourages us to keep moving forward regardless of external challenges.
55. “You may write me down in history with your bitter, twisted lines. You may trod me in the very dirt, but still, like dust, I’ll rise.” – This quote reflects the strength to rise above harsh criticism and mistreatment, likening resilience to the way dust settles and then rises again.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to develop an unyielding spirit that can withstand even the harshest judgments or treatment. It encourages us to keep moving forward despite adversity.
Maya Angelou’s Quotes on History and Forgiveness:
56. “I have great respect for the past. If you don’t know where you’ve come from, you don’t know where you’re going. I have respect for the past, but I’m a person of the moment. I’m here, and I do my best to be completely centered at the place I’m at, then I go forward to the next place.” – This quote acknowledges the importance of understanding our history and roots. It also emphasizes the significance of living in the present and moving forward with intention.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to honor our history while being fully engaged in the present. It encourages us to learn from the past and use that knowledge to shape a better future.
57. “History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again.” – This quote recognizes that we can’t change the past, but we can confront it with bravery. By doing so, we can avoid repeating the same painful history.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to confront the difficult aspects of history and personal experiences with courage. It encourages us to learn from past mistakes and not let them define our future.
58. “It’s one of the greatest gifts you can give yourself, to forgive. Forgive everybody.” – This quote emphasizes the value of forgiveness as a gift we can give to ourselves. It encourages forgiving not only others but also ourselves.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to practice forgiveness as a way to free ourselves from the burden of resentment and grudges. It reminds us that forgiveness is a powerful act of self-compassion.
59. “At the end of the day people won’t remember what you said or did, they will remember how you made them feel.” – This quote suggests that people remember the emotional impact of our actions and interactions more than the specific words or deeds.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to be mindful of the way we treat others and the emotions we evoke in them. It encourages us to prioritize kindness, empathy, and positive connections with others.
Maya Angelou’s Quotes on Adaptability:
60. “Anything that works against you can also work for you once you understand the Principle of Reverse.” – This quote introduces the idea that challenges or obstacles can be turned into opportunities when we understand how to use them to our advantage.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to view adversity as a potential source of growth and transformation. It encourages us to approach difficulties with a mindset that seeks solutions and opportunities within them.
61. “If you don’t like something, change it. If you can’t change it, change your attitude.” – This quote advises that if you’re unhappy with a situation, you can either take action to change it or adjust your attitude toward it.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to take control of our circumstances by either making changes or shifting our perspective. It emphasizes personal agency and adaptability.
62. “If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded.” – This quote suggests that showing care and compassion for others is a measure of personal success.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to prioritize empathy and kindness. It encourages us to find fulfillment and success in the act of caring for and helping others.
63. “If you have only one smile in you, give it to the people you love. Don’t be surly at home, then go out in the street and start grinning ‘Good morning’ at total strangers.” – This quote underscores the importance of sharing positivity, particularly with loved ones, rather than reserving it for strangers.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to cherish and nurture the relationships closest to us. It encourages us to express love, kindness, and joy within our own families and circles of friends.
Angelou’s Positive Thinking Quotes:
64. “What you’re supposed to do when you don’t like a thing is change it. If you can’t change it, change the way you think about it. Don’t complain.” – This quote advises us to take action when we’re dissatisfied with a situation. If changing it isn’t possible, we can choose to change our perspective rather than complain.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to be proactive and to maintain a positive mindset. It encourages us to seek solutions and look for the silver lining in challenging circumstances.
65. “When you do nothing you feel overwhelmed and powerless. But when you get involved you feel the sense of hope and accomplishment that comes from knowing you are working to make things better.” – This quote highlights the difference between feeling helpless when doing nothing and feeling empowered when actively engaged in making positive changes.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to get involved and take action when we want to improve a situation. It emphasizes the satisfaction and hope that come from being part of positive change.
66. “If one is lucky, a solitary fantasy can totally transform one million realities.” – This quote suggests that a single inspiring idea or dream has the potential to positively impact countless real-life situations.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to embrace our creative and imaginative capacities. It encourages us to believe in the power of our dreams to influence and transform the world around us.
Maya Angelou’s Quotes on Love and Relationships:
67. “First best is falling in love. Second best is being in love. Least best is falling out of love. But any of it is better than never having been in love.” – This quote describes the different stages of love and suggests that even the pain of falling out of love is better than never experiencing love at all.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to embrace love in all its forms, acknowledging that the joy and connection it brings are worth the potential pain of its loss.
68. “Have enough courage to trust love one more time and always one more time.” – This quote encourages us to be brave and open-hearted, willing to trust in love repeatedly, no matter how many times we may have been hurt.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to maintain faith in the power of love, despite past disappointments. It reminds us that love’s potential for healing and happiness is worth the risk of vulnerability.
69. “I sustain myself with the love of family.” – This quote expresses the idea that the love and support of family members provide strength and sustenance in life.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to appreciate and draw strength from the love of our family. It emphasizes the significance of familial bonds in our well-being.
70. “If you have only one smile in you, give it to the people you love.” – This quote suggests that the most precious and genuine smile should be reserved for the people we hold dear.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to prioritize our loved ones by sharing our warmth and affection with them. It encourages us to express love and happiness through our interactions.
71. “In all the world, there is no heart for me like yours. In all the world, there is no love for you like mine.” – This quote conveys a deep and unique connection between two people, highlighting the profound love they share.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to appreciate and celebrate the extraordinary love and connection we have with a special person. It emphasizes the depth and uniqueness of love.
72. “Love is like a virus. It can happen to anybody at any time.” – This quote likens love to a contagious force that can affect anyone, unexpectedly and without warning.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to be open to the possibility of love entering our lives at any moment. It encourages us to welcome love, even when it surprises us.
73. “Love is that condition in the human spirit so profound that it allows me to survive, and better than that, to thrive with passion, compassion, and style.” – This quote describes love as a deep, transformative state of the human spirit that not only sustains us but also allows us to flourish with qualities like passion, compassion, and style.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to recognize the profound impact of love on our lives. It encourages us to embrace love as a source of strength, growth, and grace.
74. “Love is that condition in the human spirit so profound that it empowers us to develop courage; to trust that courage and build bridges with it; to trust those bridges and cross over them so we can attempt to reach each other.” – This quote portrays love as a force that empowers us to cultivate courage and build connections with others, allowing us to overcome barriers and reach one another.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to view love as a source of courage and unity. It encourages us to have faith in the bridges we build and to reach out to others with love and understanding.
75. “Love heals. Heals and liberates. I use the word love, not meaning sentimentality, but a condition so strong that it may be that which holds the stars in their heavenly positions and that which causes the blood to flow orderly in our veins.” – This quote suggests that love has a healing and freeing quality that extends beyond sentimentality. It’s described as a powerful force that influences the cosmos and the human body.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to appreciate the transformative and healing power of love. It encourages us to see love as a force that can mend and liberate both our inner selves and the world around us.
76. “Love recognizes no barriers. It jumps hurdles, leaps fences, penetrates walls to arrive at its destination full of hope.” – This quote conveys the boundless and determined nature of love, which can overcome any obstacles to reach its intended destination with hope.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to have faith in the resilience and tenacity of love. It encourages us to believe that love can triumph over any challenges and reach its intended purpose.
77. “To those who have given up on love: I say, ‘Trust life a little bit.'” – This quote speaks to those who have lost faith in love, encouraging them to have some faith in life and the possibility of love.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to remain open to love, even when we’ve been disappointed. It suggests that life has more to offer, and love may return when we least expect it.
Maya Angelou’s Quotes on Courage and Virtues:
78. “Courage is the most important of all the virtues because without courage, you can’t practice any other virtue consistently.” – This quote emphasizes that courage is essential because it enables us to consistently practice other virtues like kindness, truth, mercy, generosity, and honesty.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to recognize the significance of courage in our lives. It encourages us to be brave and resilient, as it serves as the foundation for practicing other virtues.
79. “I believe most plain girls are virtuous because of the scarcity of opportunity to be otherwise.” – This quote suggests that plain-looking girls often exhibit virtue, possibly because they may not have as many opportunities to behave otherwise.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to appreciate the virtues in people and not judge them based on appearance. It encourages us to recognize that virtue can shine even in those who may not receive the same opportunities or attention.
80. “The quality of strength lined with tenderness is an unbeatable combination, as are intelligence and necessity when unblunted by formal education.” – This quote highlights the power of combining strength with tenderness, as well as intelligence and necessity without being hindered by formal education.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to value qualities such as strength, tenderness, intelligence, and resourcefulness. It emphasizes that these attributes, when combined effectively, can lead to success.
81. “Without courage we cannot practice any other virtue with consistency. We can’t be kind, true, merciful, generous, or honest.” – This quote reiterates the importance of courage in enabling the consistent practice of other virtues like kindness, truth, mercy, generosity, and honesty.
Inspiration: This quote reinforces the idea that courage is the cornerstone of virtuous living. It motivates us to cultivate and demonstrate courage in our actions and relationships.
82. “One isn’t necessarily born with courage, but one is born with potential. Without courage, we cannot practice any other virtue with consistency. We can’t be kind, true, merciful, generous, or honest.” – This quote suggests that while one may not be born with courage, everyone is born with the potential for courage, which is crucial for practicing other virtues consistently.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to tap into our potential for courage. It reminds us that courage is not reserved for a select few but is accessible to all, enabling the practice of various virtues in daily life.
83. “I think we all have empathy. We may not have enough courage to display it.” – This quote suggests that empathy is a common human quality, but sometimes we lack the courage to express it openly.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to recognize our capacity for empathy and to muster the courage to show it. It encourages us to be more compassionate and understanding in our interactions with others.
Maya Angelou’s Quotes on Attitude and Positive Living:
84. “Instead, pursue the things you love doing, and then do them so well that people can’t take their eyes off you.” – This quote advises us to focus on our passions and excel in them, captivating the attention of others through our dedication and skill.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to follow our interests and talents with enthusiasm. It encourages us to pursue what we love and strive for excellence, which can lead to recognition and fulfillment.
85. “Life is going to give you just what you put in it. Put your whole heart in everything you do, and pray, then you can wait.” – This quote suggests that the results you receive in life are a reflection of the effort and commitment you put into your endeavors. It also encourages prayer and patience.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to invest our full effort and dedication in everything we do. It underscores the importance of faith and patience in awaiting the outcomes.
86. “Life is pure adventure, and the sooner we realize that, the quicker we will be able to treat life as art.” – This quote invites us to view life as an exciting adventure and to treat it like an art form. It emphasizes embracing the unknown.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to approach life with a sense of wonder and creativity. It encourages us to take risks, explore new experiences, and find beauty in the journey.
87. “Live as though life was created for you.” – This quote encourages us to live life as if it were tailor-made for us, to embrace its opportunities and make the most of it.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to live with purpose and intention. It motivates us to seize life’s possibilities and make it our own.
88. “Living well is an art that can be developed: a love of life and ability to take great pleasure from small offerings and assurance that the world owes you nothing and that every gift is exactly that, a gift.” – This quote conveys that living well is a skill that can be cultivated. It involves appreciating life, finding joy in small moments, and understanding that the world doesn’t owe us anything.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to develop the art of living well. It encourages us to savor the simple joys, maintain a sense of gratitude, and embrace life as a series of precious gifts.
89. “Love life. Engage in it. Give it all you’ve got. Love it with a passion because life truly does give back, many times over, what you put into it.” – This quote urges us to wholeheartedly embrace and engage with life, emphasizing that the more passion and effort we invest, the more life will reward us.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to approach life with enthusiasm and dedication. It reminds us that the love and energy we invest in life will be repaid with abundant experiences and fulfillment.
Maya Angelou’s Quotes on Life Philosophy:
90. “My great hope is to laugh as much as I cry; to get my work done and try to love somebody and have the courage to accept the love in return.” – This quote expresses a desire to balance joy and sorrow, to accomplish meaningful work, to love others, and to be open to receiving love in return.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to seek a balanced and fulfilling life. It encourages us to embrace both happiness and challenges, to pursue our goals, love others, and be receptive to love when it’s offered.
91. “My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style.” – This quote outlines a life mission that goes beyond mere survival. It calls for thriving with passion, compassion, humor, and style.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to view life as an opportunity for growth and flourishing. It encourages us to approach life with enthusiasm, kindness, a sense of humor, and personal flair.
92. “No matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow.” – This quote reassures us that despite difficult moments, life continues, and there’s hope for a brighter future.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to maintain hope during tough times and to remember that a better tomorrow is possible. It encourages resilience and optimism.
93. “Whatever you want to do, if you want to be great at it, you have to love it and be able to make sacrifices for it.” – This quote emphasizes that to excel in something, you must have a deep passion for it and be willing to make sacrifices.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to pursue our passions with dedication and commitment. It reminds us that greatness often requires hard work and sacrifice.
94. “We need much less than we think we need.” – This quote suggests that our actual needs are simpler and fewer than what we might believe.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to reevaluate our material desires and focus on the essentials. It encourages a simpler and more contented way of living.
95. “We spend precious hours fearing the inevitable. It would be wise to use that time adoring our families, cherishing our friends, and living our lives.” – This quote reminds us that worrying about unavoidable circumstances is a waste of time. Instead, we should use that time to appreciate our loved ones and live life to the fullest.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to value the present moment and the people we care about. It encourages us to make the most of our time by focusing on meaningful relationships and experiences.
96. “The more you know of your history, the more liberated you are.” – This quote suggests that understanding your past and history can lead to greater freedom and empowerment.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to explore our history and heritage, as it can provide insight into our identity and contribute to our personal liberation.
97. “We allow our ignorance to prevail upon us and make us think we can survive alone, alone in patches, alone in groups, alone in races, even alone in genders.” – This quote points out that our ignorance can lead us to believe we can live in isolation, whether as individuals, in specific groups, races, or genders.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to recognize the interdependence of humanity. It encourages us to embrace diversity and work together, dispelling the notion that we can thrive in isolation.
98. “I work very hard, and I play very hard. I’m grateful for life. And I live it – I believe life loves the liver of it. I live it.” – This quote reflects a balance between hard work and enjoyment, expressing gratitude for life and the belief that living it to the fullest is a rewarding experience.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to find harmony between work and leisure. It encourages us to live life with gratitude and a sense of joy, believing that life rewards those who fully engage with it.
99. “If we lose love and self-respect for each other, this is how we finally die.” – This quote warns that the loss of love and mutual respect among people can lead to the decline of society.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to prioritize love and respect in our relationships and interactions with others. It highlights the importance of these values in maintaining a thriving and harmonious community.
100. “As soon as healing takes place, go out and heal somebody else.” – This quote suggests that once we’ve experienced healing, we should use our newfound strength to help others heal as well.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to become agents of healing and support for others. It emphasizes the ripple effect of healing, where one person’s recovery can lead to the healing of others.
101. “Be a rainbow in somebody else’s cloud.” – This quote encourages us to brighten someone else’s day or life, even when they are going through challenging times, by being a source of positivity and hope.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to be a source of light and encouragement for those around us. It emphasizes the power of kindness and empathy in making a difference in someone’s life.
Maya Angelou’s Quotes on Optimism and Perseverance:
102. “Some people cannot see a good thing when it is right here, right now. Others can sense a good thing coming when it is days, months, or miles away.” – This quote highlights the varying perspectives people have: some miss the goodness in the present, while others can anticipate and recognize the goodness in the future.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to appreciate the goodness in the present and be optimistic about the future. It encourages us to cultivate the ability to see positive opportunities ahead.
103. “Stepping onto a brand-new path is difficult, but not more difficult than remaining in a situation, which is not nurturing to the whole woman.” – This quote acknowledges that embarking on a new journey can be challenging, but it’s less challenging than staying in an environment that doesn’t support a person’s well-being.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to have the courage to embrace change and seek a path that nurtures our overall well-being. It encourages us to prioritize self-care and personal growth.
Maya Angelou’s Quotes on Communication and Connection:
104. “The desire to reach for the stars is ambitious. The desire to reach hearts is wise.” – This quote distinguishes between ambitious goals, such as reaching for the stars, and wise goals, such as touching people’s hearts through meaningful connections.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to prioritize meaningful human connections and emotional impact. It emphasizes the wisdom in fostering relationships and making a positive difference in people’s lives.
105. “The human heart…tells us that we are more alike than we are unalike.” – This quote recognizes that the human heart reminds us that we share more commonalities than differences.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to embrace our shared humanity and recognize the common threads that connect us. It encourages empathy and understanding among people.
106. “The idea is to write it so that people hear it and it slides through the brain and goes straight to the heart.” – This quote emphasizes the power of effective communication, where the message resonates with the heart and emotions of the listener.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to communicate in a way that connects with others on a deeper level. It encourages us to convey messages that evoke genuine feelings and understanding.
107. “Words mean more than what is set down on paper. It takes the human voice to infuse them with shades of deeper meaning.” – This quote suggests that words have layers of meaning beyond what’s written and that the human voice can add depth to their interpretation.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to use our voices to infuse words with richer and more profound meanings. It highlights the importance of effective verbal communication.
108. “While I know myself as a creation of God, I am also obligated to realize and remember that everyone else and everything else are also God’s creation.” – This quote emphasizes self-awareness and the recognition that everyone and everything in the world is also a creation of a higher power.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to practice humility and respect for all life. It encourages us to acknowledge the divine essence in ourselves and others, fostering empathy and compassion.
Maya Angelou’s Quotes on Truth and Expectations:
109. “There’s a world of difference between truth and facts. Facts can obscure truth.” – This quote distinguishes between truth and facts, noting that facts alone may not convey the complete truth.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to seek a deeper understanding of situations and people beyond mere facts. It encourages us to look for the underlying truths in our interactions and experiences.
110. “To those who are given much, much is expected.” – This quote conveys that those who have been blessed with many resources or opportunities are expected to give back or make a positive impact.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to recognize our responsibilities when we’ve been fortunate. It encourages us to use our blessings to benefit others and make a difference in the world.
Maya Angelou’s Quotes on Character and Integrity:
111. “When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time.” – This quote advises us to trust people’s actions and behavior when they reveal their true character.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to be discerning in our relationships and interactions. It encourages us to believe in the authenticity of people’s actions and not make excuses for behavior that goes against their true character.
112. “While one may encounter many defeats, one must not be defeated.” – This quote acknowledges that we may face numerous failures and setbacks, but we should never allow these defeats to define us.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to maintain resilience and determination in the face of challenges. It encourages us to view defeats as temporary setbacks and not as permanent failures.
113. “Whining is not only graceless, but can be dangerous. It can alert a brute that a victim is in the neighborhood.” – This quote warns against complaining, as it not only lacks grace but can also attract negative attention and potential harm.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to maintain a positive attitude and avoid unnecessary complaining. It encourages us to handle difficulties with dignity and seek constructive solutions rather than dwelling on problems.
Maya Angelou’s Quotes on Kindness and Positivity:
114. “Try to be a rainbow in someone’s cloud.” – This quote suggests being a source of brightness and positivity in someone else’s life, particularly during their difficult times.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to spread kindness and uplift others when they are facing challenges. It encourages us to be a source of hope and support for those in need.
115. “When we give cheerfully and accept gratefully, everyone is blessed.” – This quote highlights the mutual benefits of giving with joy and receiving with gratitude. It suggests that acts of kindness benefit both the giver and the recipient.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to approach both giving and receiving with a positive and open-hearted attitude. It emphasizes the ripple effect of goodwill, where everyone involved experiences blessings.
116. “When you wish someone joy, you wish them peace, love, prosperity, happiness… all the good things.” – This quote conveys that wishing someone joy is a comprehensive wish for all the positive and wonderful aspects of life.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to extend warm and heartfelt wishes to others. It encourages us to hope for the best in their lives and to celebrate their well-being.
117. “I’m convinced of this: Good done anywhere is good done everywhere. For a change, start by speaking to people rather than walking by them like they’re stones that don’t matter. As long as you’re breathing, it’s never too late to do some good.” – This quote emphasizes the value of doing good deeds wherever we are. It suggests that even small acts of kindness can have a positive impact.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to recognize the potential for good in every moment and interaction. It encourages us to engage with people, offer kindness, and make a positive difference in the world, regardless of the scale of our actions.
Angelou’s Quote on Overcoming Fear:
118. “What is a fear of living? It’s being preeminently afraid of dying. It is not doing what you came here to do, out of timidity and spinelessness. The antidote is to take full responsibility for yourself – for the time you take up and the space you occupy. If you don’t know what you’re here to do, then just do some good.” – This quote addresses the fear of living a timid and unfulfilled life due to the fear of death. It suggests that taking responsibility for one’s actions and making a positive impact can overcome this fear.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to confront our fears and live life with purpose and courage. It encourages us to take responsibility for our actions, make a positive difference, and fulfill our potential, even if we are unsure of our specific purpose.
Maya Angelou’s Inspirational Quotes:
119. “Everything in the universe has a rhythm, everything dances.” – This quote suggests that there is a rhythm and beauty in everything in the universe, and it compares this to a dance.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to see the beauty and order in the world around us. It encourages us to appreciate the natural rhythms of life and find harmony in the universe.
120. “It is time for parents to teach young people early on that in diversity there is beauty and there is strength.” – This quote emphasizes the importance of teaching young people that diversity is beautiful and can be a source of strength.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to embrace and celebrate diversity. It encourages us to recognize the value and strength in the differences among people.
121. “Make every effort to change things you do not like. If you cannot make a change, change the way you have been thinking. You might find a new solution.” – This quote advises us to take action to change what we don’t like, and if change isn’t possible, to change our perspective and think differently.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to be proactive in improving our lives. It encourages us to be adaptable and find new solutions to challenges when direct change is not possible.
122. “Making a decision to write was a lot like deciding to jump into a frozen lake.” – This quote likens the decision to write to a daring act, like jumping into a frozen lake, suggesting that it can be a challenging but rewarding choice.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to pursue our creative passions and take risks, even when they seem difficult or daunting. It emphasizes the courage needed to follow one’s dreams.
123. “Most people don’t grow up. Most people age. They find parking spaces, honor their credit cards, get married, have children, and call that maturity. What that is, is aging.” – This quote distinguishes between growing up, which involves personal development, and simply aging, which relates to external life events.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to focus on personal growth and maturity rather than just going through life events. It encourages us to continually evolve and develop as individuals.
124. “Music was my refuge. I could crawl into the space between the notes and curl my back to loneliness.” – This quote expresses how music provided comfort and solace, allowing the speaker to escape loneliness by immersing themselves in its harmonies.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to find solace and refuge in the things that bring us joy and comfort, whether it’s music, art, or other passions. It emphasizes the power of these interests in healing the soul.
125. “Prejudice is a burden that confuses the past, threatens the future, and renders the present inaccessible.” – This quote highlights the negative impact of prejudice, which distorts the past, endangers the future, and makes the present unattainable.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to challenge and overcome prejudice. It encourages us to embrace diversity, reject discriminatory thinking, and work towards a more inclusive future.
126. “Surviving is important. Thriving is elegant.” – This quote distinguishes between mere survival and flourishing, with the latter being more admirable and elegant.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to strive for more than mere survival in life. It encourages us to seek fulfillment and excellence in our endeavors, making the journey of life more meaningful.
127. “Talent is like electricity. We don’t understand electricity. We use it.” – This quote likens talent to electricity, something we may not fully comprehend but can harness and employ.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to recognize and utilize our talents and abilities to their full potential. It emphasizes the importance of applying our gifts effectively.
128. “The ache for home lives in all of us. The safe place where we can go as we are and not be questioned.” – This quote acknowledges the universal longing for a place of comfort and acceptance, where one can be themselves without judgment.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to create a sense of home and belonging in our lives and in the lives of others. It encourages us to provide a safe space for people to be their authentic selves.
129. “The main thing in one’s own private world is to try to laugh as much as you cry.” – This quote suggests that in one’s personal life, it’s important to find joy and laughter amid the inevitable moments of sadness and tears.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to maintain a positive and optimistic outlook on life. It encourages us to find moments of happiness and laughter, even during challenging times.
130. “The problem I have with haters is that they see my glory, but they don’t know my story…” – This quote addresses the issue of people who criticize or dislike someone without understanding their personal struggles and experiences.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to be empathetic and not rush to judgment about others. It encourages us to consider the background and experiences of people before forming opinions about them.
131. “There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.” – This quote conveys the deep pain of holding an untold and unexpressed story or experience within.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to share our stories, experiences, and emotions. It encourages us to free ourselves from the burden of unspoken stories and to connect with others through our narratives.
132. “There is nothing so pitiful as a young cynic because he has gone from knowing nothing to believing nothing.” – This quote describes the unfortunate situation of a young person who has transitioned from ignorance to extreme skepticism and disbelief.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to retain an open and curious mindset as we grow and learn. It discourages us from becoming overly cynical and encourages us to maintain a sense of wonder and belief in the world.
133. “We all should know that diversity makes for a rich tapestry, and we must understand that all the threads of the tapestry are equal in value no matter what their color.” – This quote emphasizes the importance of diversity and underscores that all individuals, regardless of their differences, hold equal value.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to celebrate and respect diversity in all its forms. It encourages us to appreciate the contributions of people from various backgrounds and recognize their equal worth.
134. “We delight in the beauty of the butterfly, but rarely admit the changes it has gone through to achieve that beauty.” – This quote encourages acknowledging and appreciating the transformative process that a butterfly undergoes to become beautiful.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to recognize that personal growth and transformation often involve significant change and challenges. It encourages us to appreciate the journey and not just the end result.
135. “It is impossible to struggle for civil rights, equal rights for blacks, without including whites. Because equal rights, fair play, justice, are all like the air: we all have it, or none of us has it. That is the truth of it.” – This quote underscores that the fight for civil rights and equality must involve everyone, regardless of their racial background, as these rights are universal and belong to all.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to understand that the pursuit of justice and equal rights is a shared responsibility. It encourages us to work together across all racial backgrounds to achieve a fair and just society.
136. “Eating is so intimate. It’s very sensual. When you invite someone to sit at your table and you want to cook for them, you’re inviting a person into your life.” – This quote describes the intimate and personal act of sharing a meal with someone, as it involves inviting them into your life.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to recognize the significance of sharing meals and hospitality. It encourages us to appreciate the depth of connection that can be fostered through this act.
137. “How important it is for us to recognize and celebrate our heroes and she-roes!” – This quote stresses the significance of acknowledging and honoring our heroes and heroines.
Inspiration: This quote inspires us to celebrate and express gratitude to those who have made a positive impact on our lives and the world. It encourages us to recognize the achievements and contributions of both men and women.
Thanks for reading!